Azuolas Tubelis’ double-double leads No.9 Arizona MBB past Texas A&M-CC

Jackie Cabrera

Arizona men’s basketball forward Azuolas Tubelis attempts a layup on Dec.13, 2022 in McKale Center. The Wildcats won against Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi by a score of 99-61.

The Arizona men’s basketball team defeated Texas A&M University–Corpus Christi by a score of 99-61 on Dec. 14 in McKale Center.

With this win, the Wildcats move to 9-1 on the season. On Monday, Arizona moved up to No. 9 in the recent men’s basketball AP Poll. This win improves the team’s win streak in McKale Center to 26 games.

Azuolas Tubelis continued his streak of dominance on Tuesday night. He scored 20 points for the fourth straight game while grabbing 13 rebounds. This marked his third double-double of the season so far. Tubelis has also joined the 1,000-point club at Arizona.

As a team, Arizona made their most three-point shots in a single game since Jan. 16, 2020 with 15 made shots. Six players made at least two 3-pointers.

Henri Veesaar had his first game scoring double digits at Arizona with 16. He was a perfect 5-5 shooting from the field and also made his two 3-pointers. This was his best game of the season so far while only playing 15 minutes.

Another freshman that had an all-around great performance was Kylan Boswell. He saw an increase in minutes after starting point guard Kerr Kriisa left the game after playing four minutes because of a non-COVID-19-related illness. Boswell scored 8 points to go along with eight assists and seven rebounds while making two 3-point shots. He also finished the game with the best plus/minus of the game with a +32.

“I thought Kylan [Boswell] looked really good; Kylan’s going to be a really good player,” head coach Tommy Lloyd said. “Kerr [Kriisa]’s fine, he hasn’t been feeling well [so] he’s a little bit run down. I don’t think it is anything significant.”

Arizona has now won three straight games by at least 10 points after suffering their first loss to the University of Utah. This Saturday is the Wildcats’ toughest and most important game to date as they will face off against No. 7 the University of Tennessee at 8:30 p.m. in McKale Center.

“We are excited for the challenge,” Lloyd said. “It is an honor to compete against them.”

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter