Women bare all at Breast Party

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Danielle Abel, a psychology freshman, and Jenna Polsky, a speech and hearing sciences freshman, share a laugh while creating papier-m
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Danielle Abel, a psychology freshman, and Jenna Polsky, a speech and hearing sciences freshman, share a laugh while creating papier-m

The Women’s Resource Center invited women to “”1,2,3 … take it off”” at a Breast Party on Thursday in honor of Women’s Herstory Month.

The Breast Party is held semi-annually, in March for Women’s Herstory Month and in October for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

“”It’s one of the WRC’s most famous events,”” said Malia Uhatafe, religious studies senior and student director of the Women’s Resource Center.

At the event, held in the Student Union Memorial Center, women were invited to make plaster molds of their breasts by applying pre-cut strips of plaster dipped in water.

About 30 people attended this year. Typically the event brings in 30-50 people, with a lot of the same women returning each time, according to Uhatafe.

The first breast party was held in the Women’s Studies conference room in October 2007 and hosted about 80 people. A founding member of the Women’s Resource Center completed her undergraduate education at the University of Delaware, where she first participated in this type of event, and decided to bring the idea to the UA.

A $700 Corporate Partners grant funds the party. The money was enough to fund the supplies for the event for three years, Uhatafe said.

“”This is more of a ‘love your body’ event,”” Uhatafe said. “”Past participants have expressed feeling empowerment and comfortable in their own skin.””

Uhatafe said Thursday’s party was unique because so many women were participating for the first time.

“”This is an amazing experience to embrace my boobs,”” said psychology freshman Danielle Abel. “”I’m going to frame this.””

Some of the women said they felt uncomfortable at the thought of undressing in front of everyone.

“”It’s not as scary as I thought it was going to be,”” said veterinary science freshman Megan Nixon. “”Getting in here and realizing I had to take my bra off in front of people … there was a moment of terror.””

Uhatafe said that having everyone take their shirts off at the same time makes it less awkward.

“”It’s great to feel comfortable around other women and to embrace our bodies,”” said political science freshman Danielle Dobrusin.