Mail Bag

Yesterday’s Mailbag rife with problems

Ah, if only attending the UA (or any other college institution, for that matter) was as easy as going to class, studying and getting good grades. But sadly, Jared Benton, as you so expertly stated in your letter in yesterday’s paper, universities also have those blasphemous organizations known as football teams. How is this allowed to go on? I am appalled!

Um, reality check. Football makes the UA money. Money is what allows the school to operate, and of course, make a profit. As much as your naive mind would like to think that college is all about getting an education, it’s not. It’s about finding out who you are as a person – through both your intellectual and social pursuits. And the sad fact of the matter is, the UA above all else is a business. Why do you think they give out athletic scholarships? For the simple reason that athletes generate money for the school. Whether it is an “”abomination”” or not, neither the football team nor the limited parking space on Saturdays is likely to go anywhere.

Secondly, all of this hullabaloo surrounding Proposition 206 has me fairly upset. Why? Well, first of all, it’s called the “”Non-Smokers Protection Act.””

Here’s an idea. How about “”protecting”” yourself by doing the extremely difficult task of avoiding that which you have a problem with? Such as … not walking by smokers! Wow. It is difficult, since it is extremely cramped and claustrophobic in both the ILC and the Student Union Memorial Center … with no possible route whatsoever around the invasive poison that floats in the air.

Erik Arend brought up a crucial point in his letter: “”Those who have chosen not to smoke do not have to be bothered by secondhand smoke.”” Exactly! If you don’t like it, go somewhere else! I don’t even smoke and I think this proposition is ridiculous. If I have a problem with a particular person (or something that they do, such as smoking), it is my problem and my responsibility to do something about it. It’s not like smokers go around waving their cigarettes in everyone’s faces! They are just trying to relax and cut loose for a few minutes. If they want to use smoking as a means to achieve relaxation, that is their prerogative. Just because you or anyone else doesn’t like it doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to do it. All the nonsmokers need to stop whining and get over themselves.

Allisyn Keyser
    physiology/creative writing senior

Proposition 206 not the only smoking proposition on ballot

Although it is commendable for the Arizona Daily Wildcat to attempt to address the issue of Proposition 206, I am sad to see that the issue was misrepresented by Friday’s article “”Controversial Prop. 206 could ban public smoking.”” The author failed to mention even once that there is a competing proposition on the ballot, Proposition 201. Proposition 206, the proposition discussed Friday, is actually sponsored by R.J. Reynolds. I don’t think it is a stretch to say that this proposition is not aimed at reducing smoke exposure. In fact, Proposition 206 would roll back ordinances already in place in Flagstaff, Tempe and Prescott, replacing the current ordinances with weaker restrictions.

Further, Proposition 206 continues to allow smoking in bars and designated parts of restaurants, pool halls and bowling alleys. There is no designated enforcement agency under Proposition 206 and violation would result in a minimal penalty for individuals or bar owners and no penalty for any other business owner.

Clearly, Proposition 206 is a clever ploy by R.J. Reynolds meant to maximize cigarette sales in Arizona. Proposition 201 is supported by the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association and American Lung Association, among

others. Proposition 201 calls for 100 percent smoke-free bars, restaurants, pool halls and bowling alleys. The penalty for an individual found to be in violation is the same as that designated by Proposition 206 ($50 to $300) but it also designates a penalty for all businesses found to be in violation. The Arizona Department of Health Services is charged with enforcement. Please see www.smokefreearizona.org for more information.

“”I’m not using anyone’s lungs but my own, so why does everyone care so much?”” The answer to that question is: because you are using my lungs. Secondhand smoke is deadly. Shame on smokers who fail to understand this point. I personally don’t care if you smoke. Please, just do it outside. Shame on the Wildcat for failing to objectively address the two propositions that voters will see on the ballot in November.

Jen Throne
    physiological sciences graduate student

Bookstore policy shameful

Growing up, I was put under the impression that colleges were educational institutions. Now that I’ve actually been involved with one, I see they are simply a business just like any other. After switching classes recently, I went to the bookstore today to return more than $60 worth of three books for the class I dropped. I was informed it was too late to do so and if I wanted to I could sell them back, but I would only get a grand total of $3. I find this ridiculous and have a hard time believing this would ever fly at any other company that does as much business as the UA Bookstore does … especially considering how much students switch classes in the beginning of the semester. It seems that sucking money out of students’ wallets has taken priority over scruples, and I think the people who make these policies at the bookstore should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Tom Mosby
    psychology senior