Women’s tennis hosts ASU in regular season finale

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

A team is composed of different types of athletes. There are the MVPs, the players looking to improve, those who struggle and those who play a supporting role.

On the Arizona women’s tennis team, senior Debora Castany is that supportive teammate, and she’ll put that on display today at 1 p.m. when the Wildcats host ASU in the regular season finale.

“Debora is a hard worker and goes the extra mile,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “She is a really good practice player, which in turn challenges the girls.”

The Spain native played tennis in her free time, so her decision to play at the collegiate level required her to put in extra work to get noticed by schools in the U.S.

“I sent out a bunch of emails to multiple schools that I was interested in,” Castany said. “I was working with an agency because I knew very little English at the time and that’s who hooked me up with the program here at the U of A.”

Once Castany did more research into Arizona, she realized the university’s academic prestige would give her more of an opportunity than if she stayed in Spain. Castany finds herself constantly busy. If she is not at practice, she is studying. Castany is majoring in nutrition and minoring in chemistry.

“I’m going to use my fifth year to decide what I want to do career-wise,” Castany said. “I am looking to do an internship at McKale because ultimately I would like to go into sports nutrition.”

Even though Castany only played a few matches in the spring season, she made lasting bonds with her teammates.

“We really motivated each other,” sophomore Lacey Smyth said. “Her determination is admirable. She brings positive light to the team because she is happy all the time.”

Not only is today the UA’s last regular season match, but it is senior day. Natasha Marks, Sarah Landsman and Castany will be recognized at the “red out” match.

“It’s very important to keep our emotions in check especially because it is senior day,” Maes said. “ASU has a few injuries but we have to treat it as they are going to bring everything they got. We expect to have a good turnout.”

Freshman has big game for men’s tennis

Being one of the new kids on the block, freshman Carlos Bermudez made a name for himself by working hard throughout the men’s tennis team’s spring season.

“Carlos has a certain toughness,” head coach Tad Berkowitz said. “He will not back down from any match and has a strong personal belief in his game and teammates. It is obvious that even though he is a freshman he can hang with the big boys.”

Berkowitz and Bermudez agree his best match of the season was when he defeated USC’s Eric Johnson. Not only was USC the top-ranked team in the country, but Bermudez was the only Wildcat to win a match point.

With winning by just two games in each set, Bermudez recalls he “just stepped up.”

Bermudez teams up with sophomore Mario Urquidi in doubles. Even though the two have known each other for years, this season together has brought them closer together.

“He has a big game, and makes it easy for me to attack the net,” Urquidi said.

The Wildcats’ final match of the regular season is Saturday, when they will host Utah.

“I hope we can get our first Pac-12 win,” Bermudez said. “We are a healthier team and ready to get it done.”