POBEAT: 8/8/16

Not Here For the IT Help

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a call at the Martin Luther King Building on First Street, where UA’s IT Support Center is located, in reference to an unconscious male passed out inside of the lobby on July 30 at approximately 5:30 p.m.

When the officers arrived, the man was passed out and holding a half empty bottle of vodka. The officers immediately recognized the male from previous encounters.

When the officers told the man he was not allowed to be inside of the building blocking the doorway and had no legitimate reason to be on campus, the man woke up and told officers they did not own the land and could not tell him to leave. The man then accused the officers of always bothering him about sleeping on campus, according to the police report.

The man has at least two expired Exclusionary Orders, including a most recent arrest on July 13 for trespassing on campus. The man was also served a pending Exclusionary Order on July 22.

UAPD officers asked the man to step outside and sit on a bench. The man was verbally upset and officers could detect the smell of alcohol coming from his breath.

Dispatch informed the officers that the man had an outstanding UAPD arrest warrant.

When officers placed the man under arrest, the man told officers he did not care about the Exclusionary Order and would come back.

Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

On July 29, 2016 at approximately 2:00 a.m., a UAPD officer conducted a traffic stop after he noticed an expired plate on a truck while driving westbound towards Euclid Avenue.

The UAPD officer shined a flashlight on the driver, who was identified as a UA student. The officer then noticed a small plastic baggie with red markings sticking out of the driver’s front pant pocket. The officer asked the UA student what was inside the baggie but the driver nervously shoved the baggie farther into his pocket.

After the officer asked the student again about the baggie, the student took it out of his pocket and the UAPD officer identified it as marijuana.

The UA student said he and his two other friends who were in the vehicle with him were at a party downtown near “some railroad tracks.” A friend who was at the party, and regularly smoked marijuana asked the UA student to hold onto the marijuana. The UA student complied and told the officer he does not smoke marijuana anymore.

The UA student was placed under arrest for possession of Marijuana.