“New beer policy draws lines, spite”

The days of free beer on the UA Mall for Homecoming are gone. In their stead this weekend were drink stations carrying a two-drink limit per visit, and students and alumni voiced their disappointment.

“”I think it’s ridiculous we have to wait in lines,”” said Erica Morrison, a retailing and consumer sciences senior.

In past years,

I think it’s ridiculous we have to wait in lines.

-Erica Morrison,
    retailing and consumer sciences senior

anyone over 21 was allowed to bring alcohol onto the Mall, and student organizations often supplied free beer. This year’s Homecoming equated to long lines at six beer stations for $4 beverages.

Alumnus Albert Herrera said he didn’t agree with the change – he liked being able to get free beer.

“”It was more fun because you got to meet people at tents,”” he said. “”So I don’t agree with this change.””

Ryan Pelliccioni, a communication senior, said he also felt the new alcohol distribution policy was a bad idea that dampened the fun of Homecoming.

“”It’s going to be a boring Homecoming,”” he said.

UA President Robert Shelton said the new policy was put into place so everyone could have a safe and still enjoyable time.

“”That is very important, and we realize if you’re over 21, alcohol, if wisely used, is part of that good time,”” Shelton said.

Christopher Vlahos, president of the UA Alumni Association, said past Homecoming practices presented “”too much risk for everyone.””

Other schools across the country have limited alcohol consumption at homecoming festivities, and some banned it all together, because of underage drinking and excessive consumption, Vlahos said.

“”In Ohio State they got rid of alcohol altogether, but we did not want to see that happen at Arizona,”” Vlahos said. “”Ohio State took such a dramatic step. We want to deal with the situation but not eliminate alcohol altogether.””

While this year’s policy placed limitations on the type, cost and distribution of alcohol at Homecoming, Shelton echoed that
    banning alcohol altogether is not the direction the UA wants to go in.

Some people on the Mall thought the new policy brought pleasant changes.

“”It used to be when you walked down the Mall, there was trash everywhere,”” said alumna Renee Smerlinski. “”I was embarrassed.””

As people can get carried away when free beer is available, the new policy was a good way to control that, said alumus Mark Smerlinski.

Pelliccioni said underage students would still find a way to drink, whether on or off campus, in spite of the policy’s primary aim.

“”I think it’s a sad story this year the way the school is doing things, he said.