No. 13 Utah upsets Arizona in four sets

The Arizona Wildcats fall to the Utah Utes 3-1 on Friday, October 13.

Arizona fell to No. 13 Utah in four sets Friday night at McKale Center during the pink out. Arizona was only able to win set three, 25-23, which was a popular score tonight for Utah, (25-18, 25-23, 25-23, 25-23).

McKale was filled with pink tonight, having the first 500 fans get a free PinkOut shirt, along with the team who wore pink jeresy’s in honor of October being breast cancer awareness month. At halftime, Arizona’s McKenzie Jacobson and Victoria Svorinic’s mothers were both honored, along with a handful of other survivors of breast cancer.

Jacobson was seen on the court for the most time all season and it seemed like every time she touched the ball to gain Arizona a point on the board. Jacobson posted eight kills, two digs, three blocks and only had two errors.

“She stepped up all week at practice,” said Arizona setter Julia Patterson who had a double-double tonight with 13 digs. 

The teams were tied a majority of the match, not including set one. 

“There were opportunities that we didn’t take advantage of, against a really good team,” said Arizona head coach Dave Rubio, “and we put ourselves in a position in almost every set, except the first set and its a little frustrating we didn’t play a little cleaner.”

Utah had a three-game winning steak prior to Arizona, after defeating No. 9 Washington last weekend. The 2nd place team, is now 6-1 in conference, and their only loss came from undefeated Stanford. Arizona will play for revenge again in Utah later next month. 

Outside hitter Kendra Dahlke led the team offensively in kills tonight ending with 17 kills, seven digs and four blocks, half of them being solo. Freshman middle-blocker Candice Denny impressed the crowd tonight, with seven kills and three blocks, one solo ending the night with a .500 hitting percentage. 

“She is completely unfazed,” Rubio said.

Freshman Paige Whipple had back-to-back aces in the second set to help bring some momentum. Whipple posted nine kills and 11 digs. 

At halftime the teams were tied with 82 attacks, 39 digs, four blocks, but the Wildcats continuous errors lead them to drop the match. 

Arizona is now 8-8 and 2-5 in Pac-12 play and will end their four-game homestand on Sunday, Oct. 15 when they take on Colorado at 1 p.m. 

Follow Simone McCarthy on Twitter