Technology companies seek to hire more women at upcoming careers event

Technology-based companies are seeking to hire more women into the field in the hope of trying to add another perspective.

NetApp, IBM, General Motors Corp. and Adobe are only a few of the companies that will be represented at the Women In Technology Careers Event on Tuesday in the Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom. A panel of representatives from the companies will be present to answer students’ questions in the first two hours of the event.

The last hour will be dedicated to networking, where students can speak with representatives one-on-one.

The event is open to all students but is designed to draw the interest of women, said Michele Norin, chief information officer and executive director of University Information Technology Services and one of the coordinators of the event.

“One of the things we are trying to promote is there are a lot of opportunities in the technical fields for people who don’t have technical degrees,” Norin said.

The world of technology has moved beyond the stereotype and into a world of successful individuals, said Regina Kunkle, a vice president of NetApp.

“[NetApp] can’t hire people fast enough,” Kunkle said. “70 percent of the people hired by [NetApp] do not have technology-based majors.”

Technology companies like NetApp are eager to hire women so different perspectives can be heard and acted upon, Norin said.

Students have already begun showing interest in the event, Norin said, adding that more than 150 students have already signed up and more are expected to come.

Raquel Irigoyen-Au, a sophomore studying Spanish and Portuguese, said she plans to attend the event.

“Technology fascinates me,” Irigoyen-Au said, adding that she hopes the event will help her get some insight in the technology field.

Jamie Vail, a chemical engineering freshman, also said she plans to attend. Vail said she hopes the event will not only offer her insight, but also yield some internship opportunities.

Norin said the goal is for students to walk away with an interest to pursue technological fields.

“Everything in today’s world has a technological side to it,” Norin said. “The technology field is exciting because it is driving change in so many fields.”

UA Women in Technology Careers Event

Noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday

Student Union Memorial Center, Grand Ballroom