Arizona grounds Rockets 41-2

Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat

University of Arizona meets Arizona State University in an NCAA mens football game in Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2009. Arizona went on to win 20-17.
    Michael Ignatov
    Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat University of Arizona meets Arizona State University in an NCAA men’s football game in Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2009. Arizona went on to win 20-17.

Erasing any memories of the disappointing ending to last season in the Holiday Bowl, quarterback Nick Foles and the Arizona offense took off in its season opener against Toledo, defeating the Rockets 41-2.

Foles racked up 360 yards, threw for two touchdowns and rushed for another. Senior running back Nic Grigsby had two more touchdowns on the night for the Wildcats.

The biggest question for Arizona coming into the season was how its defense would respond to having to rebuild after losing seven starters on defense after the 2009 season.

The Wildcats prevented the Rockets from ever reaching their end zone. Toledo’s only points came as a result of a safety when Arizona was backed up deep in its own zone and a holding call on the Wildcats resulted in the two-point score for Toledo.

The defensive held its own against the Rockets and sacked Toledo quarterback Austin Dantin twice.

Arizona’s linebackers also came up big in the season opener. Transfers Paul Vassallo had 10 tackles and Derek Earls had an interception late in the second quarter to set up Foles’ one-yard touchdown run.

The victory was a first for the Arizona in a non-conference setting on the road since 2001.