Fast Facts

• Paedophobia is a fear of children.
  • At age 47, The Rolling Stones’ bassist, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year-old Mandy Smith, with her mother’s blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. Not long after, Bill’s 30-year-old son, Stephen, married Mandy’s mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother. If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father’s father-in-law and his own grandfather.
  • The Ouija board is named after the French and German words for yes – oui and ja.
  • Mario, of Super Mario Bros. Fame, first appeared in the 1981 game “”Donkey Kong.”” His original name was Jumpman, but that was changed to Mario to honor Nintendo of America, Inc.’s landlord, Mario Segali.
  • Stewardess is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
  • The Egyptian hieroglyph for 100,000 is a tadpole.
  • The bark of a redwood tree is fireproof. Fires that occur in a redwood forest take place inside the trees.
  • Male western fence lizards do push-ups on tree limbs as a courtship display for females.
  • It is estimated that a single toad may catch and eat as many as 10,000 insects in the course of a summer.
  • Half of teenage boys say they would rather be rich than smart.
  • It takes 24 hours for a tiny newborn swan to peck its way out of its shell.
  • In the Rhode Island Legislature during the 1970s, it was proposed that there be a tax of $2 on every act of sexual intercourse.
  • The term honeymoon is derived from the Babylonians, who declared mead, a honey-flavored wine, the official wedding drink, stipulating that the bride’s parents be required to keep the groom supplied with the drink for the month following the wedding.
  • Under the law of Mississippi, there’s no such thing as a female Peeping Tom.
  • The national anthem of the Netherlands, “”Het Wilhelmus,”” is an acrostic. The first letters of each of the 15 verses represent the name Willem Van Nassov.
  • Keanu Reeves once managed a pasta shop in Toronto.
  • Walt Disney’s autograph bears no resemblance to the famous Disney logo.