Police Beat: March 22

Easy money

A man posing as a Wells Fargo Bank employee asking for money was reported at 9:57 a.m. on March 19.

Several incidents involving the man had occurred since December, according to a bank employee, who said numerous people had complained regarding the issue.

The employee then provided the University of Arizona Police Department with a phone number to contact the last person who reported the issue.

Police then spoke with a man over the phone, who said a “large, sweaty man” had asked him for help on March 13, saying his car had been impounded and towed, with his wallet inside.

He was described as a “pasty” white man between 20 and 25 years old, 6-foot-4 and 190 to 200 pounds. He offered a phone number that he could be reached at in order to repay a $20 loan, but the phone number only returned text messages that said “Who is this” each time the person who reported him to Wells Fargo tried to contact him.

A UAPD officer called the phone number, but did not get a response. Police checked the registration on the phone, and advised the man who reported the issue not to voluntarily hand out money.

Man harasses employees at Speech and Hearing Sciences building

A “verbally aggressive” man, who left emails and voicemails for several employees in the Speech and Hearing Science building employees, was reported to UAPD at 2:15 p.m. on March 19.

The messages began the day prior, when the man called several employees requesting research involving his son at around noon.

Later that day, the man called twice in an “aggressive manner,” before being told he was acting inappropriately by a UA employee, according to the police report.

The next morning, when an employee listened to her office voicemail, the man left a message which ended with, “If you don’t respond, you’re a fucking whore.”

Following the message, employees told the man to stop contacting them. The man had also sent emails to the employees which often mentioned him being stressed.

UAPD was given the man’s email and phone number, but officers were unable to contact him before the report was filled. The staff emails were sent to UAPD and submitted into evidence.