Sustainability series just the beginning for Gallagher

Over 50 scientists, thinkers and activists warned the audience of the Gallagher Theater about the jeopardy of humanity’s future. An audience consisting of about 70 students and community members listened to warnings about global warming, deforestation and mass extinction.

Freshmen Mike Fields, pre-business, and Albie Colotto, biology, both left the theater shocked at some new facts about the environment versus human economy.

The film, “”The 11th Hour,”” was shown as part of the new sustainability film series that will take part on the first and third Monday of every month.

“”(The series will be) covering different topics, not just the green peace, though environmentalism is kind of the big focus,”” said Jill Burchell, a higher education graduate student and graduate manager of Gallagher.

The series will also hit on social and economic discrepancies, Burchell added.

With the addition of the sustainability series, Gallagher is now hosting three film series, including the Women’s Center series on Wednesday nights and the Social Justice series on Thursday nights.

“”We’ll have (these) different film series that have more a social justice flavor. They all have some kind of a discussion or a panel,”” Burchell said. “”Some of them have speakers coming in after the movie.””

The films are not all documentaries, but they will have a documentary feel to them, Burchell said.

“”It’s more of a new experience here at Gallagher than it used to be. We’re (going to be) more like The Loft than just your regular movie theater,”” she said. “”We’re kind of showing (more of the) unusual, trying to have more of that indie feel.””

All series films are shown free of charge with the exception of WALL-E, which will be shown as part of the sustainability series, Burchell said.

Burchell added that students can submit their own short or feature-length films, and that they received their first student short this week.

She said for students who submit their work, the Gallagher will find a night to showcase them and have the student introduce their work and get feedback from the audience.

As for future plans, Burchell said they are looking forward to having a foreign film series next semester along with plans for hosting a student film festival.