Zona Zoo sells out first game

After a fall semester of unfavorable scheduling and low profile opponents, the Zona Zoo has sold out its first home game of the season, media and communications director Charles Wollin said Tuesday evening.

Within the first 24 hours that students were allowed to reserve their seat via an online ticket reservation system, the 2,290-seat section in McKale Center reached its allotted capacity, Wollin said.

Last semester, before students left for winter break, the Wildcats played games against Florida Atlantic and University of Alabama at Birmingham at 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. tipoffs, respectively, during a heavy exam period.

They hosted NAU during Thanksgiving break weekend and Loyola Marymount on Dec. 2.

By Dec. 10, against San Diego State, some students had already returned home for the winter break.

“”It’s our first full force Zona Zoo sellout,”” Wollin said. “”We’re getting prepped to gear up for our in-state rival.””

For students struggling with the online reservation system, the Zona Zoo’s marketing team has stations set up on the UA Mall on Monday and Tuesday afternoon prior to home basketball games.

“”Sometimes the ticketing system is challenging to navigate,”” Wollin said. “”We have laptops on the Mall so they can do that.””