UA re-forms Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee

Selena Quintanilla

The UA Parking and Transportation Services has announced the reforming of the UA Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee that will be a liaison for the UA community.

The committee serves in an advisory role to ensure UA bicyclists and pedestrians have a voice when safety concerns arise and to maintain comfort when on campus.

RELATED: Tucson ranks 23rd for bike-friendly cities

The UA BPAC was first formed in 2013 and positions were filled by students, faculty and staff at the UA. Their role was to advocate for evaluating policies, various constructions and educational safety guidelines, specifically for bicyclist and pedestrians.

Almost 40 people signed up for the committee in 2013, with a variety of campus roles ranging from the University of Arizona Police Department to Campus Recreation.

Applications for the current committee will be accepted until Oct. 21. Original members of UABPAC can re-apply.

“We encourage them to comeback and re-apply,” said Jessica Hersh-Ballering,c PTS alternative modes coordinator. “We’re trying to get a wide range of backgrounds based on what people are interested in.”

The original advisory committee advised on problems such as: Increased campus bicycle enforcement, forming subcommittees to address individual issues and safety education on campus regarding bicycles, pedestrians and the streetcar project.

RELATED: 3,000 miles later, UA professor and UA medical student return from their bike listening tour

“The main goal of this committee is to see the opportunity in everything,” Hersh-Ballering said. “We have a lot of really great bike paths on campus, but we don’t have names for them, so it’s really hard to talk about which routes you take.”

Ben Safavinia, a senior chemical engineering student who travels by bike, said that pedestrians sometimes don’t adhere to the rules and thinks the committee reforming is a good idea.

“Some pedestrians don’t know the rules specifically so they just walk in your path,” he said. “That’s just a case that makes it not safe.”

The committee will meet on the first Thursday of every month starting Nov. 3.

Follow Shaq Davis on Twitter.