The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

91° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat

    Skateboarders sent to slammer

    Two men were charged and one was arrested on Feb. 26 at 12:48 a.m. after they were seen with a group of people performing tricks on their skateboards.

    An officer responded to the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building in reference to eight men being questioned for skateboarding. Three of the men were seen doing tricks on their skateboards in the Highland Avenue Parking Garage and had been advised to stop.

    All the men told officers that they did not have any identification, but they verbally identified themselves.

    One of the officers dealt with two of the men. One of the men gave the officer a name that showed up as invalid in the system. The officer asked the man his name again and the man said the same name. The officer informed the man that providing false information to law enforcement was a misdemeanor offense. The man then told the officer his real name.

    The man’s name showed that he had a warrant out for his arrest in reference to a liquor law offense from Tucson Police Department. The man was arrested for false reporting to a law enforcement official.

    The man’s stepbrother also had a warrant out for his arrest. While searching the stepbrother, police found a fake ID with the man’s picture and correct information, except the date of birth had been changed to make him appear to be over 21. He was charged with possession of a fictitious ID.

    The stepbrother was transported to the Pima County Jail and the fake ID was placed into evidence.

    Tipsy teens flee fenced area

    Two men were cited and released for being minors in possession of alcohol Feb. 28 at 12:15 a.m.

    University Medical Center security saw three men in a fenced commercial area near the hospital. The men fled the scene when security tried to make contact with them. Security was able to chase down and detain two of the men.

    When police arrived, they made contact with the two detained men and noted that they appeared to have been drinking. Both men were only 19-years-old.

    One of the men told the officer that he was underage and had five shots of vodka that evening. He smelt of intoxicants and had watery, bloodshot eyes.

    The other man told the officer that he did not have any alcohol. Shortly after, he apologized to the officer and said that he had one bottle of Rolling Rock beer. He also smelt of intoxicants and had bloodshot, watery eyes.

    Both were cited and released on scene.

    Bouncer allegedly bit by frazzled frat boy

    Police responded to a call concerning a fight on Cherry Avenue near Speedway Boulevard Feb. 27 at 11:43 p.m.

    Police were called in reference to a man who was walking down the street that had possibly been in a fight. Police located the man and made contact with him.

    He said he had been in a fight, but he did not need medical assistance.

    He told officers he had left his residence at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house and walked outside due to a dispute he had with another resident of the fraternity house.

    The man said that during the dispute he was punched in the face, causing him to have a bloody face. The man told police that he would only say that the other person was a resident of the fraternity and would not give the other man’s name.

    When the man tried to regain entrance into his residence, he was denied entry by a security guard who was working at a concert at the fraternity house. The man told the security guard that he lived at the house, but the guard said he could not let the man inside. He could not explain why he was denied entrance.

    When the man attempted to enter the house, the security guard put his arm around the man’s body and began to shove his right arm into his mouth. The man said that the security guard did this so he would have bite marks on his arm as proof that the man assaulted him. The man said he walked to a nearby lot to “”cool down.””

    Officers then spoke with the security guard who said that he was posted at the door and people had formed a line to get in. The security guard said the man cut the line and demanded to be let in. The security guard told the man to wait in line. The man then became angry and tried to enter the fraternity. The security guard would not let him through. The security guard said he grabbed the man to prevent him from entering when the man bit his right arm. After being hit, the security guard let go of the man and pushed him out of the entrance.

    Neither man wanted to press charges for assault. A report was filed to document the incident. The two men were told not to make contact with each other if they believed it could lead to additional physical contact.

    Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at

    More to Discover
    Activate Search