Baseball downs East Tennessee State

Riding its 24-7 dismantling of the East Tennesse State Buccaneers last night, the No. 11 Arizona baseball team sealed off the series win with a 6-4 victory at Hi Corbett Field this afternoon.

“It was good to get another win,” Arizona head coach Andy Lopez said. “We did what we needed to do to get out on top.”

After a quick pair came across in the bottom of half of the first, the Wildcats looked poised to pour on the runs again.

Unlike last night however, the Buccaneers pitching was able to keep the Arizona under a little bit more control.

With the way that the wind blows into Hi Corbett Field, right field is essentially a grave yard for fly balls, but in his second at-bat of the afternoon, senior Bobby Brown blasted one to right field that cleared the wall for a solo shot.

“It was a change-up that was high,” Brown said. “If I see a ball up there I’m just gonna hit it as hard as I can.”

Lopez said he was amazed at how far the ball traveled.

“He’s Downtown Bobby Brown I guess,” Lopez said. “That was impressive.”

In last night’s rout against ETSU, Brown was one of the Arizona offensive leaders.

The senior went 4-for-4, with two triples and six RBIs.

“I’ve been working really hard in the batting cages, and it’s doing a lot for me,” Brown said. “I’ve been seeing a lot of good pitches and taking a lot of good swings.”

For Lopez, it’s nice to see that Brown’s hard work is paying off.

“I’m really happy for Bobby, he’s spent so much time in the program, he’s paid his dues, his Freshmen year, he didn’t really travel with us, but now here he is, hitting home runs and getting interviewed.”

East Tennessee managed to add a little run support, plating three runs in the third and fourth, to bring the Wildcat advantage down to one run.

Arizona starter Konner Wade refocused and managed to only allow one more run on the day.

“I was pretty happy (with my outing)” Wade said. “I felt like I needed to do a better job getting first pitch strikes and working ahead of guys, but besides that it wasn’t too bad.”

Wade, who got his sixth win of the year, finished with seven strikeouts throughout his seven and one third innings on the rubber.

Stephen Manthei came on to relieve for Wade and after allowing another run, managed to close out the game for his second save of the season for the Wildcats.

First pitch for the series finale against the Buccaneers is slated for noon tomorrow.