“Grigsby bigger, more durable for 2010”

Mike Christy
The University of Arizona football team takes part in morning practice Friday, Aug. 20, 2010, at the Rincon Vista Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz. The Wildcats look to reach a bowl game for the third season in a row with quarterback Nick Foles at the helm. (Photograph by Mike Christy)

It’s no secret that running back Nic Grigsby has been electric through three years at Arizona, but an injury-riddled 2009 left questions about the senior’s durability.

A separated shoulder caused him to miss three full games last season and play injured in six contests, limiting him to a career-low 79 carries – only 26 of which came in Pacific 10 Conference play.

The on-and-off production caused people to forget about Grigsby’s 7.2 yards-per-carry average, 207-yard-game against NAU and 50-yard game-winning TD run against Stanford.

But Grigsby, who’s shown a new team-first attitude this season, spent the summer with strength coach Corey Edmond adding about 10 pounds of muscle to his shoulders, bringing him to around 200 pounds.

“”This is the best I’ve felt in a long time,”” Grigsby said during training camp. “”Coach (Edmond) did a great job. I give it up to coach Ed for the summer ? strength wise, weight wise, bulking my shoulders up.””

Added head coach Mike Stoops: “”Nic looks better, just all the way around better.””

Grigsby said that he still feels that he can move just as well with the added weight, so you can still expect to see the devastating cuts and scampers from the senior back.

“”I still have my speed and bulked my shoulders up a little bit,”” Grigsby said.

When asked if he had a certain yardage goal in mind Grigsby responded: “”Big plays. That’s all I’m thinking. Big plays.””

Grigsby does, however, have one thing other than big plays on his mind heading into next season. While most players are targeting the Iowa game, or ASU grudge matches, Grigsby has the Oct. 9 game against Oregon State circled on his calendar.

“”They’re the ones that (injured) my shoulder,”” he explained. “”They’re the ones that started the whole trend last year. Oregon State, I’m waiting for them.””

It’s been a while since Grigsby has been completely healthy and able to prove his worth every Saturday. But with his final year at the college ranks, and a healthy and stronger shoulder in place, Grigsby couldn’t be more excited for Friday when the Wildcats open the season at Toledo.

“”So anxious. I’m ready to play the first game already. I feel like the first play of the game is going to go crazy.””

Brotherly love

Grigsby’s younger half-brother Terris Jones is on the Arizona roster as a walk-on running back. Jones, who Grigsby considers his full blood brother, rushed for 1,912 yards and 26 touchdowns as a high school senior and is more than just an add-on according to Stoops.

“”His brother is a good player,”” Stoops said of Jones. “”He has legitimate talent; you know he’s not out of place here. He’ll have a chance.””