Police Beat

Repeat reefer-user racks up referrals

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on April 9 at 12:15 a.m.

Police responded to the south side of La’Aldea apartments, 825 E. 5th St., in reference to a group of people smoking marijuana.

When police arrived, they saw eight people in the area. Police did not smell nor see any marijuana.

Six of the eight people allowed police to search them. None of those six people had drugs or drug paraphernalia on them, so they were released on scene.

Police then split up the two men who had not agreed to be searched for questioning. While officers were questioning the two men, another officer found a multi-colored glass pipe and a plastic bag of marijuana hidden in the bushes near where the group was sitting.

They asked one of the men if the pipe and marijuana were his. The man said they were not and paused for a minute before saying, “”Officer, look, I changed my mind. You can search me.”” Police found no illegal drugs or paraphernalia on the man so he was released on scene.

Police noticed that the other man had a bulge in his pocket approximately three inches in length. They asked him to empty his pockets, which he did voluntarily. He pulled a tin container out of his pocket and gave it to the officer, saying that he had marijuana inside of it. Police opened the container and found a folded-up baggie of marijuana.

He then pulled the bulge out of his pocket, which turned out to be a glass smoking pipe. The pipe had black residue in it and smelled of burnt marijuana.

The man admitted that the marijuana and the pipe were his. He said that he had smoked the marijuana, approximately two or three bowls, prior to the officers’ arrival. The man said he smoked the marijuana of his own free will and confirmed that he had purchased it earlier in the day. He told officers that he bought the marijuana from an unknown person on Fourth Street and Tyndall Avenue. He did not know the man and said that it was the first time he had purchased drugs from him. The man also told police that he had already been diverted to the Dean of Students office for the same charges recently.

He was cited and released on scene. The pipes and marijuana were confiscated and placed into evidence. The man was, again, referred to the Dean of Students office.

A not-so-sincere ‘sorry’ over stolen phone

A man reported multiple items stolen on April 10 at 5 p.m.

Police met with a man at the University of Arizona Police Department station in reference to a theft. He told officers that an unknown person stole his Blackberry Curve cell phone, Bank of America debit card and UA CatCard.

The man told the officer that he had gone to a party at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house on April 3 between 11 p.m. and 1:15 a.m.

Because it was a foam party, the man removed his cell phone, bank card and CatCard and gave them to a person who was part of the party security team. The man said he believed that the security team was Wild West Promotions.

He told the officer that he did not know the person he had given his belongings to, but figured everything was safe with a security guard.

When the man returned at 1:15 a.m. to get his things, the male security guard was gone. The man tried to call his cell phone using a friend’s phone. When he did, an unknown man answered the phone in Spanish before handing it to a woman. The man said the person who answered the phone then got back on the line and said, “”Sorry, bitch, your phone’s gone. You’re not getting it back.””

The man told police that he canceled his cell phone contract and contacted the bank to cancel his card. He also got a new CatCard.

The man told officers that he wished to pursue criminal charges if the person who took his items was caught. He also told them that he was going to attempt to contact the security company about the incident.

These computers are not touch screen

Police responded to a call for damaged property in the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center on April 11 at 11:45 a.m.

When police arrived they made contact with an employee who said that earlier he observed a white man punch an LCD computer monitor.

The reporting person told police that he was walking through the second floor of the ILC when he saw the incident happen. He observed a man strike the monitor with a closed fist, stand up and hastily leave the area. The reporting party said the man appeared frustrated.

No one was found matching the description police were given. There are no suspects.