Golf Briefs

Men’s head golf coach inducted

In his 36th season as the Wildcat men’s golf coach, Rick LaRose will be inducted into the Arizona Golf Hall of Fame.

The Arizona Golf Association announced that LaRose — along with amateur Ken Kellaney and golf course architect Gary Panks — will officially become a part of the 2009 inductee class during a Nov. 23 ceremony in Scottsdale.

Currently, LaRose is the only college head coach to win both a men’s and women’s championship. His 1992 men’s team and 1996 women’s team both came out on top of the NCAA world.

Before becoming the men’s golf coach in 1978, LaRose head coached the water polo team and led the swimming team as an assistant at Arizona.

As leader of the golf program, LaRose has produced 77 All-Americans and eight national players of the year.

W-golf in sixth after two rounds

The Arizona women’s junior varsity golf team has improved to sixth place in its Price’s Give ‘Em Five Intercollegiate tournament behind sophomore Nikki Koller’s 1-under par 71, second round in Las Cruces, N.M., on Tuesday.

Sitting tied for 11th place in the event, Koller is two shots ahead of teammates senior Emily Mason and freshman Marie Tschida. 

While Mason is 5-over par for the tournament, the score was still good enough to keep her in 21st place in the event. Freshman Kyndall Ardoin is currently 29th place.

The Wildcats are four strokes behind the first-place University of Idaho team, ending the day with a team score of 599. They finish up their tournament in New Mexico beginning tomorrow morning.