UPDATE: Police still investigating following fatal shooting near campus

Tom Price
A University of Arizona Police Department car sits just off of Park Ave. on Oct. 1, 2015.

Tucson Police Department is still investigating a shooting that occurred around 2 a.m. Friday on Park Avenue between University Boulevard and Second Street, which left one man dead and another injured, University of Arizona Communications confirmed.

According to TPD, a TPD officer was flagged down and made aware of a shooting that occurred. As the officer was responding to the scene, TPD began getting calls about a shooting that had taken place. When officers arrived on the scene they found a deceased male. TPD did not make clear if the deceased had any relation to the UA. 

UA students received a UAlert at 2:34 a.m. stating a shooting had occurred at the location and that police were investigating. Two more alerts followed at 2:50 a.m. and 3:18 a.m., one giving suspect descriptions and another warning students to stay away from the area as emergency services were still on scene. The last notification came at 3:44 a.m. saying the same thing and that there would be no more alerts. 

A search of the area was conducted with assistance from an air unit. TPD is only officially looking for one subject at the moment, but this may be subject to change as the investigation continues. 

RELATED: ASUA Notebook 04/20/22: More funding and free finals week snacks continue

The suspects were described in the UAlerts as three, Black male suspects: one wearing a yellow shirt and glasses, another wearing a blue jacket and black shorts, and the last wearing a white tank top and a black mask. Police have not said if any of the suspects were in custody. 

The Parker apartments are located at the West end of Second Street and access to it and the section of Park Avenue between Second and First Street was blocked off until mid-morning on Friday. Police were seen taking down crime tape there around 9 a.m. Bullet holes are visible on the façade of the apartment building. 

The motive is unknown at this time, but TPD believes it was some kind of confrontation between two groups. 

*UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins confirmed the name and age of the victim who was pronounced dead on the scene via email on April 23. 

Harrison Weber, 24, was a 2021 graduate of the UA’s College of Applied Sciences and Technology. Robbins said he has reached out to Weber’s family to offer condolences on behalf of the UA community. 

The second victim, whose name and age have not been released, is in a stable, but serious condition at a local hospital, according to Robbins.

TPD homicide detectives are reviewing evidence and no suspects have been taken into custody.

Mental health resources available:

If you have been impacted by this situation and are seeking help, you can contact UA Campus Health by calling 520-621-9202 or find out how to set up an appointment on their website at health.arizona.edu.

Additionally, UA Counseling & Psychological Services has a variety of different resources intended to help students, including a “Mental Health & Wellness Tools” webpage. CAPS also has drop in hours over Zoom Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can find this and more at caps.arizona.edu or contact CAPS directly through its 24/7 number 520-621-3334.

*Editor’s Note: This article has been updated on April 23, 2022, to reflect newer information confirmed by TPD. 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter