Some large companies still hiring

While many students are used to shopping at stores like Target and PetsSmart, on Wednesday, store representatives were the ones doing the shopping ðð- for young student talent.

Thirty-three big-name companies, including Target, Teach for America, AT&T, PetSmart and Wells Fargo Financial, attended Students In Free Enterprise’s 10th annual career expo held in the Student Union Memorial Center North Ballroom.

SIFE, a UA student-run and nationwide non-profit organization is supported by individuals, foundations, and corporations and aims to develop leadership, teamwork and communication skills through free enterprise, according to their Web site.

Jason Mighdoll, a marketing junior and co-chair for the career expo, said he noticed big changes in this year’s expo as compared to years past.

“”In the decline of the market, there are half as many companies this year,”” Mighdoll said. “”While the amount of jobs decreased, student interest has gone up.””

This is an important year for the career expo and SIFE, Mighdoll said. They want students to be aware that big corporations, locally and nationally, are still looking for professional talent.

The job market has become a little more competitive these days, which benefits the companies, Mighdoll said.

Target Recruiting Manager Dan Lowther said his company is looking for motivated students who can provide new and insightful ideas.

“”Our general long-term strategy has not changed at all considering our current economic climate,”” Lowther, a UA alumnus, said. “”We will always be seeking new leaders for a long time to come.””

Whitney Munroe, a UA business management senior, was at the career expo recruiting on behalf of Teach for America.

“”Teach for America has a very strong growth plan so we are consistently increasing the number of people that we are recruiting,”” said Munroe who plans to graduate in May and begin working as a teacher in Phoenix starting next Fall.

Teach for America is looking to hire about 4,100 students from across the country in this coming year. She said about 96% of Teach for America employees did not major in Education, Munroe said.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s group recruiting manager Barbara Doty said the suffering economy has little to do with Enterprise’s plans to recruit qualified students.

“”Regardless of what’s going on, with more than 1000 branches nationwide, we’re always hiring,”” Doty said.

Sears Recruiting Manager Panny Mender said for Sears, things are “”business as usual.””

“”Our program is alive and well, still hiring and looking for talent,”” Mender said.

Jeannie Huynh, a retailing and consumer sciences junior, said she was surprised by the amount of large companies that attended the event.

“”We know that there are hiring freezes,”” Huynh said. “”However there are still several big-name companies seeking that talent.””

In addition to the career expo, SIFE is partnering with UA Career Services and CareerServices.com, Mighdoll said.

“”It’s a new website,”” Mighdoll said. “”It’s similar to Monster or Jobing.com, however more university centralized.””

Founded by four UA students, the website is being marketed to UA students and will hopefully expand to other universities in the future, Mighdoll said.

Mighdoll said the annual career expo is one of the many ways SIFE gives back to companies, students and the community.

“”We are a non-profit organization with a goal to help the community and a school,”” Mighdoll said. “”It’s funny because it’s a fundraiser and where does the money go? Back to the community.””