W-Hoops starts slow, drops second straight

Prior to Thursday’s game against Oregon, women’s basketball head coach Niya Butts said the No. 1 key to slowing down the Ducks “is slowing down their transition game.”

Arizona found out that things are often easier said than done, and the Wildcats lost the game by a score of 87-73.

Oregon (10-7, 2-3 Pac-12) burst out of the gate with a 19-3 run and, despite Arizona opening the second half with a 23-11 run of to bring it within eight, held a commanding lead throughout the night. The loss was Arizona’s (12-4, 1-3) second straight.

Arizona starting guards Shanita Arnold and Davellyn Whyte struggled, combining to shoot 9-of-32 with seven turnovers. Freshman Erin Butler picked up some of the slack off the bench, scoring a career-high 23 points. Arizona shot a measly 22-of-67 overall, and 13-of-38 from 3-point range.

Butler shot lights-out from beyond the arc, finishing the game 7-of-10 from 3-point range in what was the California native’s first significant action of the season. Butler had only played in eight games prior to Thursday, scoring a total of 13 points in 7.5 minutes per game.

Arizona will try and snap its two-game skid in Corvallis, Ore., on Saturday when it faces the Oregon State Beavers.