Mailbag

Fashion Facts just ‘entertaining fashion bloopers’

In response to Elena Ruiz’s comments on her disappointment in Thursday’s “”Fashion Facts,”” (“”Fashion Facts ‘offensive and completely irrelevant,'”” yesterday), I would have to respectfully disagree with her suggestions that the article was an “”attack”” on the students and remind people about the meaning behind a campus newspaper. The Wildcat is known around the country as one of the best campus newspapers because of its perfect blend of on-campus information, thought-provoking editorials and well-balanced reporting of issues that range from world news to local events to entertainment reporting. “”Fashion Facts”” is not attacking the students as Ms. Ruiz claims, but simply bringing to light some entertaining fashion bloopers that some students make simply to entertain the readers. The Wildcat is not, and should not be, a serious newspaper that exclusively reports “”important issues”” that Ms. Ruiz would rather read, because that is simply a matter of opinion to each reader. Pick up USA Today or read the Internet if that is what you’re looking for. The Wildcat is a newspaper that reflects the interests of the students, and does a great job in doing so. This newspaper receives way too much criticism for how great of a publication it actually is, and deserves some credit every once in a while.

Scott Smith
    business economics senior

No gun owners oppose the new bill

The most infuriating part of yesterday’s anti-gun letter (“”Guns in the classroom a flawed idea””) is the inability to see both sides of a serious issue. Although I don’t normally let psychology and sociology majors dictate my views on firearms, I did find their letter surprisingly unnerving. It is obvious by their stance they have no experience handling firearms, and therefore have little room for comment, but it’s more evident none of them are concealed-carry weapons permit holders as they write “”fight violence with violence.”” Carrying a concealed weapon is not fighting and certainly isn’t violence. It is merely a last resort to an extreme life-or-death situation. CCW holders are not vigilantes going to save the day with a scene on campus that parallels the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. And to have students who haven’t taken a probability and statistics class give us a lesson on statistics and how likely these conditions will be met, well, I’d hope they know the difference between gun-related crimes where guns are banned versus gun-related crimes where guns are allowed. They just seem to happen more when the shooter knows no one else is a threat. I’m almost certain none of them were here in 2002 when we faced a school shooting, but to those of us who remember we know what it is like to have our safest, most peaceful environment compromised by a student who appeared to be normal to his peers. It’s also very compassionate of them to denounce the bill on the ground that it won’t deter suicide. Besides, what are the odds it’ll end up killing you, right? Finally, all I can say is that I pray they never have to learn the consequences of their stance the way the students of Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University did. I pray these students can remain narrow minded and against a bill that will rightfully be passed to protect ourselves and each other.

Brendan Sullivan
    mining engineering senior

Kessinger article ‘unfounded rhetoric’

Taylor Kessinger’s article yesterday, “”What is Fox News?”” is full of unfounded rhetoric that is unbecoming of the Daily Wildcat. I hardly expect the Daily Wildcat or any other media outlet to support Fox News; however, I at least expect articles written about the news channel to recognize the facts. While Fox News is criticized as having “”poor scholarship”” and “”incompentent commentators,”” viewers in this country clearly disagree. Fox News has the most viewers of any cable news outlet by a wide margin and has held this lead for several years. More importantly, a 2005 UCLA study quantifying political biases in media outlets found the two most centrist cable news shows were Fox’s “”Special Report with Brit Hume”” and CNN’s “”NewsNight with Aaron Brown.”” “”NewsNight”” is no longer on the air while “”Special Report”” is still running on Fox News. While it is nearly impossible for any large news outlet to remain perfect centrists it does appear as though the numbers support Fox News’ assertion that it is “”Fair and Balanced.”” Journalists at the Daily Wildcat are entitled to their own opinions but should recognize both sides of the issues and the facts surrounding them.

Jake Richardson
    economics junior

Fashion Facts ‘very tabloid’

I would just like to say that I found Thursday’s “”Fashion Facts”” to be very tabloid. I felt I was reading an issue of Star magazine or The National Enquirer in the grocery store line instead of a great newspaper run by very promising journalist students at the UA. By taking advantage of students and taking pictures behind their backs, the article jeopardizes journalistic integrity that all journalists strive to keep when exercising our right to free press. This article epitomizes the very debate between celebrities and reporters over free speech, free press and right to privacy. It is very clear that reporters for tabloids cross the line with celebrities and I would not like to see this newspaper do anything similar to our students. In the future I would like to see this newspaper avoid taking anonymous pictures of students and perhaps interview them instead on what they believe is in and what is out for your fashion article. Perhaps some of the students featured in this piece woke up late and put on the only clean articles of clothing they had and ran to class or maybe they just have an individual spirit. Either way, the insults (no matter how mildly put) in the article are the makings of a gossip magazine and none of the student body would be pleased to find themselves one of the fashion victims in future issues, including myself.

Ashley Wallace
    pre-journalism freshman

Spring-breakers: listen up!

Last year on the first day of spring break, a car full of students racing down to Rocky Point passed a friend of mine in a no-passing zone on Highway 86. They immediately realized that there was oncoming traffic. Forgetting that they were towing a trailer of ATVs, they pulled back sharply in front of my friend forcing her off the road where her vehicle rolled three times. Now these young men did not stop to help. In fact, they didn’t even slow down. Fortunately, the other car contained tourists coming back from Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument who called the police and an ambulance, and stayed until both arrived, giving the police a statement about the incident. And fortunately for the young men, these good Samaritans were from Europe because anyone local would have called highway patrol and had you arrested before you got to the border. I am not saying that you can’t have fun on spring break, but you have no right to destroy someone’s financial and physical well-being by your carelessness. So, my children, listen up.

When driving on a two-lane road in Arizona always turn on your headlights. Distances out here are very deceptive and at certain times of the day, your vehicle is virtually invisible to oncoming traffic. A no passing zone means NO PASSING! Be alert. There is a lot of unfenced rangeland in Arizona, especially on the reservations. It is not unusual to come around a curve and find a steer standing in the middle of the road. At 70 mph – you lose.

Do not think you can outsmart customs and bring drugs back to the United States. They have trained drug dogs in Lukeville, Ariz., and you will be caught. If you do not have a passport, you need picture identification and a copy of your birth certificate to come back across the border.

And a final word of warning to those of you going to Rocky Point this spring. With all the wealthy Americans purchasing expensive condos in Rocky Point, the police are not as tolerant of students as they used to be. They are cracking down on speeders in town and drunken brawls on the beach. I think everyone knows that Mexican jails are not a nice place.

And since I am a nice person – a police officer is stopping vehicles west of Sonoita, Ariz., for ‘speeding.’ You can pay him $20 and he will let you go or you can politely insist that you need to go to the police station to pay the fine so you have a receipt, and he eventually will let you go without paying.

I hope one of the passengers in the vehicle from last spring feels guilty enough after reading this letter that they turn in the driver. My friend could certainly use any money recouped from her insurance carrier. The car, of course, was totaled, and my friend does not have the financial resources to replace the vehicle.

Beverly Pralguske
    Ajo, Ariz.

Inadequate security needs more attention

A current issue that is lacking and deserving attention from both the faculty and the students of the UA is inadequate security measures on the campus. Examples of this inadequacy can be read in the Daily Wildcat and heard from students and clearly represents the growing importance for our safety. Female dorm residents fear for their safety as the newspaper consistently reported of incidents involving breach of security in various dorms. Crimes of sexual assault and harassment of various students occurring on the top floors of the UA Main Library during the a.m. hours have also been reported. Personal property has also been stolen on campus. There have been reported muggings at the Student Union Memorial Center that involved both students and faculty alike. Incidents such as these represent the fear for our safety and the significance of implementing more and efficient security measures such as introducing a “”guest/staff pass”” system that allows individuals who are not students, such as faculty or staff workers, with passes to enter buildings such as the student union or the library. The increase of UA patrols can also hinder crime and ensure safety of the students. Security cameras and surveillance can be placed at dorm’s entrances. Also, self-defense classes could be taught to various students at the Student Recreation Center to increase their chances for safety. Some may say that the implementation of more efficient security measures can increase the already-high tuition of out-of-state and in-state students. Financial aid can soften the impact of these costs, however, and I believe most students would gladly accept the increased tuition if their safety and the safety of others is ensured.

Kevin Tran
    pre-pharmacy freshman