Diss-course

Opinions editor Laura Donovan opines on some of this week’s zaniest news headlines.

Childish Sun Devil behavior at Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s guest appearance

Hecklers in the audience broke into a loudly-sung version of “”Bohemian Rhapsody”” and forced a high-profile Arizona sheriff to abandon a First Amendment forum sponsored by Arizona State University’s journalism school.

ASU students acting immature and disrespectful? Which part of this statement is supposed to shock the general public? Each and every one of these sophomoric chanters should be ashamed for leading Arpaio to leave the stage. His opponents accomplished nothing other than making themselves seem like a bunch of whiny brats who can’t handle dissenting opinion on campus. Maybe they got what they wanted when Arpaio stormed off, but they appear unwelcoming and closed-minded to ideas other than their own. It’s perfectly acceptable to disagree with the controversial sheriff, but the singing ASU students in attendance were out of line. Congratulations ASU for making a national fool of yourself.

And you thought your ex was psycho …

A Southern Illinois woman faces charges after police say she intentionally rammed a burning pickup into the front porch of a man’s home. Jersey County Sheriff Mark Kallal says the woman and the home’s owner “”had a relationship that was on the outs.””

This situation redefines the term “”psycho ex.”” If you consider your girlfriend crazy because she won’t stop texting, calling or e-mailing you, be thankful she’s not insane enough to drive a burning vehicle into your home.

What’s worse is that the woman was behind the wheel the entire time, and she had to be rescued from the car. I don’t care how much you still love your possibly undeserving ex: don’t risk burning at the stake in order to hurt him. Better yet, don’t be like this woman at all. Thankfully for semi-normal people, this woman makes obsessive callers and texters seem more like needy, selfless exes rather than psycho exes.

— Laura Donovan is the opinions editor. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu