Arizona men’s tennis starts off season right

The Wildcat men’s tennis team has put together a streak of three team victories in a row to start the season, defeating New Mexico State this weekend despite an unconventional start. The match against the Aggies of New Mexico State started with a rain delay that lasted two and a half hours.

After the delay, Fredrik Ask, junior transfer from the University of Wisconsin, dominated the set 6-2.

After Ask set the tone for the Wildcats, the Aggies came back with consecutive victories in their singles matches. This included Giacomo Miccinilosing his match in a 6-2 set.

The second defeat came from junior Andre Vidaller, who won the first two matches, but lost 6-1 after losing five straight sets to Aggies’ Luis Ramirez to end the match.

Down 2-1 in the match win total, the Wildcats rallied back with consecutive match wins coming from freshman Naoki Takeda and sophomore Sumeet Shinde. Both beat their opponent 6-2 in match play, giving the team an overall lead of 3-2 to Arizona heading into the final match of the day against New Mexico State.

In the final match of the day, junior Kieren Thompson took a 3-2 lead in sets and ended up taking the victory home for the Wildcats with final of 6-2, and an overall victory total of 4-2.

The Wildcats will host St. Mary’s this Friday.