Arizona volleyball snaps out of its three game losing streak with sweep of Colorado

Nick Trujillo
Freshman Kamaile Hiapo (8) serves to New Mexico State University. The Wildcats won the match 3-0.

The Arizona Wildcats snapped out of their three-match losing streak, sweeping Colorado (25-13, 27-25 and 26-24) at the McKale Center. This dominating performance led the team to their first conference win and 10th overall victory (10-5) of the season.

The first set was a one-sided performance, as Arizona had a hitting percentage of .371 compared to Colorado’s -.032. Despite continuing their strong play, the next two sets came down to the wire, including a comeback from 24-20 in the third set to finish off the match.

The Wildcats had an overall .336 attacking percentage on the day, largely because of Paige Whipple and Katie Smoot, who had a combined 27 kills. Also, Julia Patterson had a range of contributions, as she led the team with 2 aces, 3 blocks (tied with Zyonna Fellows) and 42 assists. Devynn Cross upheld her best hitting percentage in the entire country, ending the weekend a .512 hitting percentage for the entire season.

This was a vital win for Arizona, and they hope to continue in the upward direction as their schedule grows stronger. The team will have an opportunity to display some consistency when they take their trip to California this weekend on Friday, Oct. 11th, when they take on Stanford at Maples Pavilion.

Follow Daniel Philipsborn on Twitter.