A cappella group ‘note’ worthy

GInny Polin / Arizona Daily Wildcat

cappella group
Ginny Polin
GInny Polin / Arizona Daily Wildcat cappella group

As a choir member at the UA last year, Meg Grover wanted to do more and she missed the fun of singing in an a cappella group.

The UA only had one a cappella group, Cat-Call, and its members are all men. So last October, the pre-nursing sophomore decided to form another group, Noteriety, with six male and six female singers.

“”It actually took the longest time to come up with that name,”” Grover said. “”First we were just called ‘Oh, we’re an a cappella group from the University of Arizona.’ So it was kind of lengthy.””

As Noteriety’s founder and president, Grover wanted the club to do more than just provide free concerts to UA and Tucson.

“”I wanted to bring something to people in hospices and nursing homes that would give them momentary happiness,”” she said. “”I just wanted to bring a good feeling into those sorts of places.””

Grover has been singing in choirs since elementary school, but she got hooked on a cappella during high school. Near the end of her senior year, Grover formed her first a cappella group, Femata, but it didn’t work out as she had hoped.

“”We had problems with people practicing on their own time and taking a really long time to learn songs,”” she said. “”I don’t even think we had any performances, but then again, we started with a really difficult piece.””

She had chosen “”Hide and Seek”” by British singer-songwriter Imogen Heap, a song that was sampled prominently in the Jason Derulo song, “”Whatcha Say.””

Learning from this experience, Grover said all Noteriety members take on responsibilities such as choreography, writing for grants and providing piano accompaniment.

Noteriety was officially recognized by the Associated Students of the University of Arizona as a club last spring and has performed on campus in the Cellar Bistro, at the nearby Epic Café and in nursing homes.

The group has performed or is currently working on several songs, including “”This Love”” by Maroon 5, “”For the Longest Time”” by Billy Joel and “”Faith”” by George Michael.

While Noteriety has not yet performed on campus this semester, Grover said it is working on new songs for UA students.

In spite of the popularity of “”Glee,”” Grover admits to not being a fan of the TV show.

“”‘Glee’ drives me crazy,”” Grover said. “”And it reminds me of ‘High School Musical.'””