Less alcohol at Homecoming

An unidentified student attempts to drink beer sprayed at him during the Homecoming parade in 2005. This year, the UA will be the only supplier of alcohol on the UA Mall during Homecoming in an attempt to cut down on underage drinking at the celebration.

As part of a collaborative effort to control alcohol distribution at this year’s Homecoming, the UA will be the only alcohol provider on the UA Mall during the Nov. 3 celebration.

The UA Alumni Association will sell beer tickets – redeemable for beer from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in 16-ounce collectible plastic tumblers – for $3 in advance at the Marvin D. “”Swede”” Johnson building, 1111 N. Cherry Ave., or $4 at the event, said Chris Vlahos, president of the UA Alumni Association.

The beer will be sold from six beer stations around the Mall, and only to individuals wearing wristbands, Vlahos said, adding that the bands will be given out from five I.D. stations on the Mall to anyone of legal drinking age.

The beer stations will be selling exclusively Anheuser-Busch products, such as Budweiser and Bud Light. The UA Alumni Association has contracted Golden Eagle Distributors to provide the beer, Vlahos said, with professional bartenders serving the alcohol.

There will be a two-drink maximum per visit to a beer station, and no alcohol will be allowed outside of the Mall event area, which will be surrounded by a 3-foot pedestrian fence, Vlahos said.

Beer will be sold until the football game against UCLA begins at 12:30 p.m., Vlahos said.

“”This is the alternative to no beer at all,”” he said. “”This is a way that we saw to preserve beer availability at Homecoming.””

Last year,

There will be a two-drink maximum per visit to a beer station, and no alcohol will be allowed outside of the Mall event area.

organizations could apply for permits to distribute alcohol from their own tents, said Steve Holland, director of Risk Management and Safety

The procedure led to problems with underage drinking and other violations of the university’s alcohol policy, Vlahos said.

“”You had a number of underage fraternity presidents bringing beer,”” he said, adding that students were arrested on charges of drunkenness and public urination.

The sheer number of groups that brought and sold alcohol made it difficult to ensure they were all following proper alcohol policy, Holland said.

“”It was a cumbersome process and difficult to monitor from a compliance standpoint,”” he said.

State and local groups became concerned about underage alcohol consumption on campus, and in time a task force of various university, city and state organizations formed to decide on procedural changes in alcohol distribution at Homecoming, Vlahos said.

The task force is comprised of the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control, Campus Health Service, the Office of Risk Management and Safety and the University of Arizona Police Department, he said.

The restrictions on alcohol vending will make security at the event much easier to handle, said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, UAPD public relations officer.

The number of patrol officers at the tailgate area will increase to six this year from four last year, he said.

“”We usually gear up for the standard events that occur during Homecoming,”” Mejia said. “”As far as the containment of sales, that’ll be a lot easier from our perspective.””

Changes in the alcohol distribution procedure have been going on for the past few years, Holland said.

“”This is just viewed as a natural next step to make sure that the event is safe for everyone and the service of alcohol is done with all applicable regulations,”” he said.

“”I hope students understand we’re trying to include beer at the homecoming,”” Vlahos said. “”We’ re trying to keep this as safe and enjoyable an event as possible.””

Ryan Adler, a chemistry senior, said he thinks the restrictions will dampen the fun of Homecoming, although he still plans on attending.

“”I think it’s bullshit,”” Adler said. “”We shouldn’t have stipulations on what kind of beer we can buy. I’ll probably still go, but I’m sneaking in my own beer.””