League of Women Voters looking for young blood

Ashlee Salamon / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Maxine Goodman will be selling jewelry on the mall on Tuesday Nov 17th to recruit members for the league of women.
Ashlee Salamon
Ashlee Salamon / Arizona Daily Wildcat Maxine Goodman will be selling jewelry on the mall on Tuesday Nov 17th to recruit members for the league of women.

The League of Women Voters of Greater Tucson will provide information to increase student membership today from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. between the Student Union Memorial Center and the Administration building.

Representatives from the league will provide information about the organization and people can sign up to become members, costs are $30 per year for students.

According to its Web site, the League of Women Voters is “”a nonpartisan political organization (that) encourages the informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.””

The national organization began in 1920. Noell Rodriguez, the president, said the organization was established during a time when women did not have the right to vote or determined their vote based on how their husband voted.

“”Once they did get the right to vote, it was a continuation of understanding what the issues were,”” she said. Tucson’s chapter now has about 230 members, both male and female.

“”One of the obstacles for us is it is an aging organization,”” she said. “”Our focus is to increase younger membership.””

Rodriguez added that they hope to engage students who have different perspectives. The League of Women Voters is a completely volunteer-run organization.

“”There’s so much to do and not enough people power,”” she said.

The organization provides summary sheets about various propositions, directories of public officials, and other voter information. The League of Women Voters takes stands on issues, but does not endorse political candidates. The organization also has various committees from natural resources to voter services.

Kara Ellerby, a graduate student in the School of Government and Public Policy, said she joined the League of Women Voters of Greater Tucson about two years ago.

“”I think it’s important as voters to make informed decisions,”” she said.

Ellerby said the league is a good resource for non-partisan election information in the community and state.

“”It’s an easy way to stay informed about how policy affects students.””

Like Rodriguez, Ellerby also said the members of the league are primarily retired.

“”We could really use some young blood,”” she said.

In addition to providing information, the League of Women Voters of Greater Tucson will also sell African jewelry from their Kenya Women and Global Democracy Program. This program facilitates an exchange between American and Kenyan representatives to provide information about the democratic process.

Earlier this year, the League of Women Voters of Greater Tucson purchased a generator for a health clinic in Kenya with the money from three years of jewelry sales. The price of the jewelry will range from $10 to $30. The money from the jewelry sales will go towards other projects in Kenya.