Gym fight: Campus Rec vs. Kamps Fitness

Sofia Moraga
Campus Recreation, located on 6th and Highland, offers multiple amenities for students to stay active during the year.

The University of Arizona’s Student Recreation Center is one of the nation’s top collegiate recreation facilities — No. 9 according to Best Value Schools. Located on the corner of Highland Avenue and Sixth Street, UA students receive free membership for each semester that they take at least one unit, not including summer. 

Members of Campus Rec receive member pricing on all programs, services and benefits. Memberships can be purchased by non-UA students per semester for $125, and an annual membership is $299. The facility offers many different platforms for fitness, such as an indoor track, indoor basketball courts, an outdoor pool and a fully equipped gym.

There are many kinds of group fitness classes, including cardio and dance, cardio and strength, cycling, mind and body and strength and core. The classes are 30, 45, 60 or 75 minute sessions led by a certified group fitness instructor. The group fitness classes are “drop-in style,” so you can attend as many classes as you want without having to register beforehand. Members of the recreation center can get a group fitness pass for $60 a semester or $150 for an annual pass. Non-members can purchase a group fitness pass for $80 a semester or $210 for an annual pass. 

The UA Campus Rec Center also has other programs such as activity classes, aquatics, a challenge program, club and intramural sports and Outdoor Rec, a program which takes students on activity-intensive trips. 

RELATED:  Rec Center now ranked 33 out of 50 on national list

Despite this great option, Kamps Fitness still saw the business potential in the campus audience and opened their Tucson location in January of 2018. Kamps in Tucson is located underneath the Hub at Tucson on Tyndall Avenue. It is true — Kamps is at a very convenient location for many students, since it is located between many different apartment buildings, including the Hub, Urbane and Sol y Luna.

Kamps focuses more on their fitness classes, which are designed for all skill levels. Each class, which is 50 minutes, is targeted towards a specific muscle group while also having a cardiovascular aspect. “Every workout will help burn calories, increase metabolism, and strengthen and tone muscles,” their website said. 

Kamps offers first-time campers a free first week of classes, but after purchasing a pass there is a limited amount of time to use it. One class is $17 and expires 30 days from purchase, five classes are $80 and expire 45 days from purchase, eight classes are $100 and automatically renew but also expire monthly, 10 classes are $150 and expire two months from purchase and unlimited is a $140 month-to-month payment that also automatically renews. There are no-show and late-cancellation fees that can apply. Although their prices are high, Kamps is well-regarded, based on its 4.8/5 star Facebook review. Still, especially regarding prices, I think that the Rec Center offers a bit more for your buck if you’re looking for fitness classes.  

Overall, I’d say that the UA Student Recreation Center has a lot more to offer, with all the different classes and activities they have. In addition, you don’t have to reserve a spot in the class or worry about no-show fees. Kamps offers a convenient, quick and guided fitness class, but I think that Campus Recreation offers so much more.

Mikayla Balmaceda is a junior studying journalism and creative writing. Follow Mikayla on Twitter