NFL Draft: Staff Picks

Best pro: Brooks Reed

Reed helped erase a forgotten junior season with an impressive senior campaign, using his speed off the end to make an impact along with Ricky Elmore on the line. Reed might have some injury issues, but the biggest reason he’ll be a solid pro is the one you can’t read from a stats sheet — the intangibles.

How many Wildcats will be drafted:

There are six Wildcats that could potentially be selected, but by Sunday, realism will set in. Expect to hear four Arizona players’ names called in the NFL Draft.

– Nicole Dimtsios

Best Pro: Colin Baxter

When I think Colin Baxter, I think Jeff Saturday. Very little press entering the draft (Saturday didn’t even get drafted), but both are hard-nosed grinders that epitomize “”team.”” Baxter was not only reliable, he was good in college, and I think you’ll see him develop into that same player at the next level.

How many Wildcats will be drafted:

Three. Brooks Reed is a lock to get drafted, although I think his late-first round projections are wildly overrated, Ricky Elmore will be off the board by the fifth, and I think Baxter will get taken in the fifth or sixth. D’Aundre Reed and Adam Grant are better served as undrafted free agents because of a lack of game tape and age, respectively.

– Tim Kosch

Best Pro: Brooks Reed

Reed will be the best Wildcat pro due to his versatility and well-rounded skillset. He’s quick and rangy enough to succeed as an outside linebacker, but has the first step and explosiveness to play as a smaller defensive end. Regardless of where he plays, Reed’s ability, work ethic and never-ending motor will make him the best pro to come out of Arizona’s senior class.

How many Wildcats will be drafted:

I think five of the six will be drafted this weekend. It’s hard to figure who will be the odd-man out, but someone from the Adam Grant-Nic Grigsby-D’Aundre Reed group will be left out of the 2011 NFL draft class.

– Mike Schmitz