LeToya tackles love on latest

LeToya tackles love on latest

You hurt me. Badly. You treated me badly. And this song, my dear, is for you.

Similar sentiments are shared in Capitol Records’ recording artist LeToya Luckett’s newest CD release, Lady Love. This is the second release for the once-ousted member of the multi-platinum selling female singing group, Destiny’s Child, demonstrating that you can’t hold this lady down. Much like Kanye West’s last album, 808s and Heartbreak, in which he purges his post-breakup pain one song after the next, Luckett adheres to that recurrent theme for a striking majority of her songs. Is it not true that pain breeds creativity? 

The Houston-born songstress sings with a surprisingly substantial soprano, displaying a vocal range on this CD likely to be smothered if she were still in a group. And while relationship emotions are worth discussing, the CD borders on overdoing the topic at hand. 

There are several standout tracks. “”She Ain’t Got… ,”” the leading single off the album, is pure infectious up-tempo pop fun, with a driving drum beat and guitar lick. On “”Lazy,”” the chorus-line has a similar arrangement as 90s R&B group Dru Hill’s “”How Deep Is Your Love,”” and speaks of a broken heart being lazy to welcoming new love. “”Over”” is haunting with its ethereal harmonizing and echoes of 80s R&B mixed with staccato drum patterns of the late 90s found in Aaliyah’s music and that of Luckett’s former group. “”Regret,”” featuring Ludacris, “”Take Away Love,”” featuring Estelle, and “”Afterparty”” are also notably enjoyable.

Luckett is motivational within her songs, showing listeners that she can move beyond the hurt, take away her “”lady love”” if needed, and give it to “”the one”” who deserves it. Badly.