Band competition to raise funds for Kids & Cops

Photo courtesy of The Day on Fire

When Oktoberfest failed to produce the donations needed to fund the annual Kids & Cops Christmas event, police officers racked their brains to create a way to raise money for the charity event. And thus, the Tucson Police Officers Association Battle of the Bands was born.

The annual Oktoberfest Tucson, set to run last month, was cancelled in late September after the event failed to attract enough corporate sponsors.

Michael Miller, a police officer and representative of the TPOA, suggested the Battle of the Bands to raise money for the Kids & Cops Christmas event, as $8,000 to $10,000 would usually come from Oktoberfest.

At the Kids & Cops Christmas event, police officers take underprivileged Tucson children shopping for up to $100 in Christmas presents at the SuperTarget on Oracle Road. The event is estimated to benefit as many as 300 children annually.

“It’s really nice because kids get to pick out what they want,” said Stephen Parker, a Tucson police officer. “They know exactly what they’re getting for Christmas, and you know they’re going to like it.”

All of the proceeds from this weekend’s TPOA Battle of the Bands will help fund the Christmas event.

The battle will feature five local bands at Fox Tucson Theatre, including Broken Romeo, Fatal Funnel, The Day On Fire, Southern Reins and Funky Bonz. Miller said the event will include bands from all different genres, such as country, funk, hip-hop and alternative music.

“It was just kind of a basic idea at first, and it just kind of exploded on us,” said Miller, who will be playing in the show with his band, The Day On Fire.

The band was solidified in late July of last year, and has since played its Southern- and country rock-inspired music at clubs and bars around Tucson.

Parker, who is also guitarist for Fatal Funnel, said he’s looking forward to a night of good music and friendly competition on Friday. In the past, Fatal Funnel has opened for bands like Awolnation, Everlast and Alien Ant Farm. Parker said the event will be a switch because his band typically plays at smaller venues.

Officers said they are excited about performing at the Fox Tucson Theatre and about bringing in community members to help the cause.

“I’m looking forward to performing,” Miller said. “Just to be in there with friends and family and a lot of community … that’s what we’re looking forward to.”

Follow Casey Knox @Knox_Casey