Police Beat: Feb. 27

Just can’t get enough

University of Arizona Police Department officers arrested a man for criminal trespassing at the Main Library at 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 20. Officers received a phone call from a librarian, who said she knew that this older man was not allowed in any of the university libraries. She told officers he walked into the library and sat down at one of the computers, and that he was banned from the libraries because he was known for pulling down his pants and masturbating while watching pornography. He has been arrested multiple times.

When officers arrived and approached him, he yelled, “I’m not here for that. I just want to get on the computer for a second.” Officers arrested him. They told him that he was not allowed in any of the university libraries because of his prior convictions. He said he was aware of that, but simply wanted to use the computer.

Officers said he was not allowed to come back on the UA campus until May 18. The man was taken to Pima County Jail on charges of criminal trespassing.

Savvy swiper

A Ford Mustang and a 2003 Chevrolet truck were broken into in the Main Gate Parking Garage on Wednesday evening.

The Ford Mustang had damage to its rear bumper and one of its windows was smashed in. Nothing was taken from inside the car, but both UAPD officers and the vehicle’s owner thought that whoever broke into the car was searching for something because a mess was left inside. The officer noticed that there was gold paint on the rear end of the vehicle. The officer took pictures of the paint scrapes.

The second vehicle had no damage on the exterior of the vehicle, but officers noticed that the truck was missing its “premium sound system” and three plastic truck bed covers. The speakers that were stolen were Kicker L7 15-inch speakers, each estimated at $900, according to the truck’s owner. The stereo’s console was also taken. The owner said he did not realize his truck bed covers and speakers were missing until he reached the Fry’s Food Store on First Avenue and Grant Road. He said he was on the phone when he drove away from the garage, and didn’t try to turn on the stereo until he was almost at Fry’s. He then searched his truck for the three truck bed covers and noticed they were missing as well.

Officers said the same person most likely broke into both of the vehicles. There are no suspects for either incident at this time. Both owners of the vehicles said they would press charges if a suspect was found.