POBEAT: 8/26/16

It was the marijuana food, man

A University of Arizona Police Department officer spotted a male staggering along southbound Park Ave. at 12:42 a.m. on Aug. 21. The officer made a u-turn to go check on the male, and when he did the male started running towards Kaibab-Huachuca Hall.

When the male could not gain access to the residence hall, he began to walk away but the officer asked him to stop and sit on the sidewalk. The male complied and identified himself as a UA student with both his driver’s license and CatCard.

The student had red, glassy eyes and seemed confused as he spoke. He told the officer he thought someone might have put something in his drink at the Residence Hall Association’s Block Party earlier that night.

The officer gave the student a Portable Breath Test, which showed no presence of alcohol. As the officer continued to speak to the student, the student suggested that there may have been marijuana in food he ate and added, “there was smoke involved.”

When the officer asked the student if he had any marijuana in his possession, the student reached into the left-pocket of his sweats and tossed a plastic bag containing three buds of green material onto the ground.

The student told the UAPD officer he understood his rights when they were read to him.

The student did not have a medical marijuana card. The officer told the student about the UA diversion program, who responded that he would like to be considered for it.

Back at the UAPD station, the green buds field-tested presumptive positive for marijuana.

Thirsty and drunk

On Aug. 21, at approximately 1:54 a.m., UAPD officers spotted two males having difficulty getting into Likins residence hall. When officers asked them what dorm they lived in, they responded that they lived at Coronado.

They said that they had originally wanted to go to Highland Market but it was closed so they thought they could quench their thirst at Likins. The officers told them to have a good night, but then saw the students walk across the street to Villa Del Puente where they were given access by another student.

Officers followed them in and asked what them what they were doing. The students restated that they were thirsty. The officers asked them to come outside to talk and when they did officers noticed a smell of intoxicants on the students.

The students were read their Miranda Rights and afterwards both admitted to consuming alcohol that night. The students were diverted to the Dean of Students.