Quick Hits

Women’s tennis splits regular season finale

The No. 55 Arizona women’s tennis team split the weekend at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. After defeating No. 54 Sacramento State University in the final set on Friday, the Wildcats fell to No. 27 ASU on Sunday. 

The Hornets took the first two matches of double play, but the Arizona duo of Natasha Marks and Debora Castany dropped Sacramento State’s Aileen Tsan and Gayane Sarkisian, 8-2.

Arizona battled back to make the score 3-2 with only two matches remaining on courts one and six. Jane Huh was battling the Hornets’ Zalina Nazarova on court six and was able to tie the score at 5-5. Nazarova would not go quietly, however, and took the match 7-5.

“”I’m really pleased with the way our team played today,”” said head coach Vicky Maes in a press release. “”We were flat in the doubles, but regrouped and did a great job in singles. Sac State is a solid team and this win was very

satisfying.””

Senior day, which honored Claire Rietsch, Natalia Toporowska and Ariane Masschelein, was not so sweet. Rietsch and Toporowska were responsible for the Wildcats’ two points as they dropped the match 5-2 to ASU. Rietsch took an early 2-1 lead in her singles match and eventually won 6-4 over ASU’s Nadia Abdala. Toporowska also took an early 2-1 lead and won her match 7-5.

Men fall to Boise State

The Arizona men’s tennis team closed out the regular season hosting the No. 48 Boise State Broncos. In their last home match, the Wildcats fell 4-3. Senior Day was not kind to the men’s team. 

Boise State took an early 2-0 lead in the match when James Meredith and Jeff Mullen defeated seniors Ravid Hazi and Pat Metham 8-3. Jason Zafiros and Geoff Embry would hang tough in their doubles match against Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin, but eventually fell 8-5.

Senior Andres Arango and junior Jay Goldman secured their point on a tight tiebreaker 7-6 (7-1).

The singles matches traded off between the Broncos and the Wildcats, but Boise State edged Arizona in the end.

Pacific 10 Championships begin for both the men’s and women’s teams in Ojai, Calif., on April 22.

— Arizona Daily Wildcat

W-golf set for Pac-10 tourney

The Arizona women’s golf team is in Eugene, Ore., as play in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships begins today.

Oregon is hosting the three-day, 54-hole event. The Pac-10, one of the most prolific women’s golf conferences in America, boasts six of the nations top 20 ranked teams according to the latest Golfweek/Sagarin poll, including

Arizona at No. 6.

Arizona won the event last time it was hosted by Oregon in 2000 after lapping the field in an

18-stroke victory.

Isabelle Boineau and Margarita Ramos, both with scoring averages under 73.3 on the season, led the Wildcats.

Arizona is all but guaranteed a spot in one of the four NCAA tournament regionals because of its performance in the regular season. The top 7 teams from each region will advance to the NCAA championship.

Play will continue through Wednesday, and the Regional championships will be held May 6-8. The NCAA championships will be May 18-21 in Wilmington, N.C.

— Alex Williams