Frosh diversity breaks record

Tuition increases and controversy over S.B. 1070 have not deterred the class of 2014. According to UA President Robert Shelton, the incoming freshman class is equal in size to previous years and more diverse than any class in UA history.

“”The diversity of this class exceeds any prior class,”” Shelton said. “”We’re very proud of the diversity of this incoming class.””

The incoming freshman class is the most diverse in UA history with 37 percent of students from minority backgrounds. This is a 3 percent increase from last year.

Class enrollment totals around 7,000 students, which is consistent with recent classes despite new tuition increases — 20 percent for in-state undergraduate students and 10 percent for out-of-state undergraduate students — this semester.

“”I actually learned that (tuition was raised) after I got accepted into the UA,”” said linguistics freshman Rebecca Hynes, who is an in-state student.

Hynes said the change did not influence her decision. “”It was nice because I had gotten a full ride,”” Hynes said.

Many students compensated for the tuition increase with applying for increased financial aid and scholarships.

“”It’s still a lot cheaper than the other schools I was considering,”” said aerospace engineering freshman Sabrina Ball. “”But it made me strap down and apply for more scholarships.””

Tuition rates for out-of-state and international students are over $24,000 this year.

“”It’s always bad for me, but I’m getting some scholarship,”” said pre-business freshman Steve Song, an international student from South Korea.

The freshman class did lose some students as a result of S.B. 1070, but has more National Hispanic Scholars than any previous class.

“”We did lose some students from other states, most of Hispanic background,”” Shelton said.

“”We won’t know the actual head count for two or three weeks.””

Dayna Reyes, an undeclared freshman from New York, is a National Hispanic Scholar.

Reyes said the bill did not affect her decision to attend the UA.

“”I was already getting ready to go here when the law was stated,”” Reyes said. “”I don’t think that’s really going to affect me.””

Reyes said she was also not influenced by the jokes her friends and teachers made about Arizona.