Police Beat

Woman is sexually assaulted in dorm, declines police involvement

A woman who said she was sexually assaulted in her residence hall said she did not want police to become involved Oct. 28 at 3:28 p.m.

Police responded to Villa del Puente Residence Hall in reference to a woman who said she had been sexually assaulted Oct. 17. The woman told officers that she did not want any police involvement. She said she did not want to file a report about the incident either.

The woman told officers that she was currently in contact with OASIS Program and Residence Life programs and felt confident that the situation could be handled through the UA programs.

Reports stated that the woman was upbeat and cheerful.

She declined her victim’s rights and was told to contact police with any questions or concerns. A note regarding the case was sent to the Dean of Students Office.

Dorm residents report potential fraud

Police responded to a call for possible fraud Oct. 28 at 3:15 p.m.

When police arrived, they met with two women in the hall director’s office in Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. The women told the officer that on Oct. 27, an unknown female entered their room uninvited and shut the door.

The women explained to them that she worked for a promotions company and was selling a spa package worth over $200 for only $49. Both of the women said they signed up for the package but did not pay for it at the time.

On Oct. 28, one of the women received a phone call from a company who attempted to collect $49 from the woman for the spa package. The woman told the person on the phone that she was no longer interested in purchasing the spa package. The woman said the person on the phone then threatened that she would take the woman to collections.

Both women told officers that the information they provided did not include their birthdates or Social Security numbers.

Officers advised the women that this was a civil matter. They also explained that the female committed trespass for being in the residence hall without an escort and for entering their room uninvited. The women told officers that they wished to prosecute for this violation if they could identify the woman.

Video was provided of the female and a possible associate. Police were told that the two women on the video were not residents of the dorm. There are no suspects.

Woman at bookstore cited for shoplifting

A woman was cited and released for shoplifting on Oct. 30 at 2:52 p.m.

Police responded to a call to assist the UofA Bookstore security in the bathroom of the Chavez Building. A security guard gave the officer a description of a woman who was said to have stolen a DVD.

The officer went to the bathroom and told any women who were inside to come out. One woman responded, saying that she was using the bathroom. The officer waited for the toilet to flush and then told the woman to exit the bathroom. She refused, saying, “”I’m not coming out.””

The officer then entered the bathroom and found the woman who matched the description given by bookstore security. The officer attempted to ask the woman questions, but she refused.

She was cited and released for shoplifting. The total of the items was $29.61.

Man issued ban for previous indiscretion

Police issued an exclusionary order on Oct. 30 at 6:25 a.m.

Police responded to a call for a man sleeping in the courtyard at 888 N. Euclid. Police made contact with the man, who identified himself verbally. They ran a check of the name and found no records. The man became argumentative. He then provided officers with a different name and birth date.

A records check on the second name showed that the man had prior contact with the University of Arizona Police Department, most recently in September for masturbating in public at the Park Student Union.

Police issued the man an exclusionary order from all UA-owned, leased or rented property.

Intoxicated minor found in Coronado

Police transported a man to University Medical Center for extreme intoxication on Oct. 31 at 11:55 p.m.

Police responded to Coronado Residence Hall for a man who was extremely intoxicated. It was reported to a resident assistant that there was a man passed out on the fourth floor. The RA said that the man was found on the fifth floor stairwell vomiting.

The man was unable to answer simple questions such as name, date of birth or address. He was not alert and kept falling asleep.

The man’s ID was found in the elevator and returned to him. He stated that he had been drinking alcohol at the “”DTD party.””

The man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol.