Rec Center field to be renamed after Sitton

Cole Malham
Cole Malham / The Daily Wildcat Coach Swetnam coaching the new rookie additions to the UA rugby team at Rincon Field on Thursday.

The No. 16 Arizona men’s rugby team lost at No. 5 UCLA 76-13 over spring break, but the head coach and players remain optimistic.

Head coach Sean Duffy said he feels the team will improve over the course of the season, starting with a home game against No. 11 ASU on Saturday at 2 p.m.

“The team will need to shift [its] focus and prepare for the last three games of the season,” Duffy said. “I think we will be able to have a good close game against ASU.”

Saturday will mark the 45th anniversary of the UA rugby team, and in a ceremony starting at 1 p.m., Cherry Field will be renamed in honor of former Arizona rugby head coach Dave Sitton.

A golf tournament and alumni brunch will also be held this weekend to support the rugby team.
Cherry Field opened last semester and is next to the Student Recreation Center on Sixth Street, across from Arizona Stadium. The field will be named William David Sitton Field.

Sitton was the head rugby coach for nearly 40 years at the UA. He died unexpectedly in 2013, and Duffy has taken over as head coach.

The team played its last game at Rincon Vista Sports Complex on Saturday. The renamed Cherry Field will become the permanent home field for the rugby team.

“I think it is a natural fit to make the Dave Sitton Field our new home,” Duffy said. “To play on campus in the shadow of Arizona Stadium will be incredible.”

This Saturday will be a white-out game for the rugby team and the fans.

Women’s Volleyball sweeps Las Vegas Open

This past weekend, No. 7 Arizona Women’s A Volleyball team went undefeated to win the Las Vegas Open.

The Wildcats defeated UCSB in two sets to win the championship.

Co-captain and senior Kristle Schulz said she was proud of her team’s performance in Las Vegas.
“This is the first time in a while we have been able to play with most of our team and they did a fantastic job,” Schulz said.

Prior to playing in the championship round, Arizona defeated Miami University and Santa Clara in pool play. The team also beat Cal Poly and Cal in bracket play.

“Our team as a whole really clicks when we are all available to play,” Schulz said.

Unlike the A team, the No. 2 B team did not have a clean sweep at the tournament. It went 2-4 at the Las Vegas Open.

In pool play, the B team won against UCLA and Colorado School of Mines, but lost to Colorado University. In the bracket play, the B team lost to Washington State, Santa Clara and PLNU.

The Arizona Women’s A and B volleyball teams have qualified and will play in nationals in Reno, Nev., April 3-5.

—Follow Daniela Vizcarra @vizcarra_dw