Notehall goes viral with new advertising

Notehall, an online class notes and study guide provider, has found a new way to advertise on campus while inspiring friendly competition. At the beginning of last week, 12 students began wearing “”pretty flamboyant shirts,”” Notehall founder Sean Conway said.

Conway explained that each shirt says “”Ask me about Notehall,”” allowing interested students to approach those wearing the shirts for more information on the service.

Describing the shirts as an interesting way to get out there and spread the Notehall brand, Conway said this method of advertising prevents the organization from getting in students’ faces and annoying them.

The alternative to traditional advertising also provides a competition for the 12 students, as there is a $1,100 pot of Fry’s gift cards to be divided among the winners – that is, those who wear the Notehall shirt every day for a two-week period until the contest ends Friday.

Pre-business sophomore Sam Ellis, a contestant, said he was approached when he was in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“”They asked me if I’d wear a tee-shirt for 80 bucks, and I was like, ‘Heck yeah!'”” he said.

Also a contestant, communications sophomore Karin Finkelstein said she’s “”always up for a little competition.””

Ellis said that the advertising, from Notehall’s prospective, “”is like genius.”” He also said he likes it a lot better than some of the current advertising methods used.

Agreeing, Finkelstein said, “”We’re very non-confrontational. We want to get ourselves out there, but we don’t want to be obnoxious.””

The advertising seems to be working, as both Ellis and Finkelstein have given dozens of explanations of Notehall to questioning students.

Ellis said he has been turned into a “”billboard”” and has already had over 20 people approach him to ask about Notehall.

Meanwhile, Finkelstein stood up and told her Hebrew class about Notehall.

“”Most people, when I finish telling them, are really excited about the idea and anxious to check if their classes are on there,”” she said.

In addition to competing for the grocery money, Ellis and Finkelstein support Notehall. Ellis said he has used Notehall, while Finkelstein said she plans to for upcoming tests.

Though she has yet to use it, Finkelstein described Notehall as “”a convenient and easy way to be successful in your academics.””

In order to make sure contestants have their shirts on, they receive check-in calls every day, Ellis said. An example of a check might be, “”On the tag, what is the third word of the Spanish directions to wash the shirt?”” he said.

Conway said another way students might get caught not wearing the shirt is by each other. He explained that they’ve each been given a picture of one another and are trying to get each other “”out”” by catching someone not wearing the shirt.