Bay Area teams sweep men’s tennis

The first road trip in four weeks didn’t go nearly the way that the No. 46 Arizona men’s tennis team had hoped.

The Wildcats (11-9, 2-4 Pacific 10 Conference) did not win a single game, getting swept 6-0 by No. 24 California (14-5, 4-1) on Saturday and 7-0 to No. 15 Stanford (13-3, 4-1) on Friday in northern California. After the Wildcats swept Oregon last week without needing a single third set to do so, the tables were turned against the Golden Bears. Arizona couldn’t even salvage a single third set, losing in straight sets in all six singles matches. Doubles matches were not played.

In the No. 1 position, senior No. 43 Roger Matalonga fell to No. 11 senior Conor Niland 6-2, 6-3, and in the next position, senior Jeff Groslimond lost to No. 98 junior Tyler Browne 6-3, 6-4.

On Friday the Wildcats were unable to win any doubles matches, leaving Stanford with the edge going into singles.

Singles play didn’t go any better for the team, as Stanford needed just one third set on its way to victory. Redshirt freshman Peter Zimmer saved face, however, taking senior Jon Wong to three sets before falling, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3.

After losing three consecutive matches, the Wildcats will play next weekend in their final regular-season match when they face No. 53 ASU in Tempe.

-Information taken from a press release from www.arizonaathletics.com