FINAL: Arizona defeats Colorado 38-20

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / The Daily Wildcat

On what was expected to be an offensive duel, the Arizona Wildcats left its 100th annual Homecoming game in style, defeating the Colorado Buffaloes 38-20. The game did not begin how the Wildcats would have liked it to, with Colorado scoring a 75-yard touchdown on its first play from scrimmage. Arizona then turned the ball over on downs after four failed rushing attempts from the 2-yard line.

The Arizona defense finished with four turnovers on the day. It was the most turnovers forced by the team since 2012 when it defeated USC. Contributing to the turnover party was cornerback Devin Holiday, safety Jourdon Grandon, linebacker Tra’Mayne Bondurant and bandit Jared Tevis.

Quarterback Anu Solomon finished with 211 yards on 21-for-38 attempts, four touchdowns and 115 yards rushing.

Running back Nick Wilson had 153 yards rushing on 21 attempts. Three members of the Arizona receiving corps finished with a touchdown, including Samajie Grant, who had two, David Richards and Tyrell Johnson.

Official attendance for the game was 50,177.

Check back with us later today for a full recap and analysis column from tonight’s action.

Key Plays

-Colorado quarterback Sefo Liufau threw a 75-yard opening touchdown to wide receiver Shay Fields on first play, 11-second drive

-Arizona turns the ball over on downs inside the Colorado 5-yard line on its first drive

-22-yard fumble recovery for touchdown by Bondurant after a forced fumble by safety Anthony Lopez for Bondurant’s fourth career touchdown with 1:12 remaining in the first quarter

-Liufau sacked by Tevis, forcing a fumble and recovering it for no gain in the second quarter

-Solomon threw an eight-yard touchdown to Johnson with 12:16 left in the second quarter

-Wide receiver Nelson Spruce threw a seven-yard touchdown to Liufau

-Interception by Grandon in the second quarter

-Solomon throws one-yard touchdown to Richards with 11 seconds left in the first half

-Arizona turns the ball over on downs on the Colorado 33-yard line with 0:15 remaining in the third quarter

-Holiday intercepts Liufau for a 16-yard return with 11:16 remaining in the fourth quarter

-Grant hauls in a 27-yard touchdown with 9:50 remaining in the fourth quarter and a 20-yard touchdown with 5:49 remaining in the fourth quarter