Track stars find success at three different meets

It was a record-breaking weekend for the No. 6 Arizona men’s and unranked women’s track and field teams.

Junior All-American thrower Adam Kuehl won the discus competition and broke a school record with a throw of 63.88 meters at the Mesa Classic in Mesa.

This mark is the best in the NCAA this season and No. 8 in the world. The throw is also the No. 8 all-time mark in the Pacific 10 Conference.

Arizona track and field head coach Fred Harvey said his performance was spectacular.

“”He had a tremendous throw,”” Harvey said. “”It opens up the eyes of the rest of throwers in the country.””

In the men’s javelin, senior thrower Saku Kuusisto placed second in the competition with a season-best throw of 71.53m.

The Finland native’s distance is No. 5 all-time at Arizona and is the third best this season.

In the Mt. San Antonio College meet in Walnut, Calif., which ended early on Friday due to heavy rains, the Wildcats secured many regional qualifying performances, Harvey said.

“”It was a very successful weekend, especially considering the rain delays,”” Harvey said. “”I thought the folks did a great job.””

At the meet, freshman heptathlete Shevell Quinley led the way by finishing seventh overall in the competition with a score of 5,260. This mark is a regional qualifying performance and is currently the No. 8 best time in school history. Quinley, who ran a time of 15.01 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles and 2:26.85 in the 800m, did a fantastic job, Harvey said.

“”She did very well,”” he said. “”She just missed her personal best by six points.””

In the men’s 5,000m, senior All-American distance runner Robert Cheseret finished with a time of 13:48.95, while senior distance runner Jonah Maiyo ran a time of 14:09.20. Both times are regional qualifiers. Cheseret, who currently ranks No. 1 in both the 5,000m and 10,000m, said he was disappointed by his performance.

“”I did OK,”” he said. “”But I didn’t do what I wanted. It was not really satisfying.””

Cheseret, who ran the event for the first time this outdoor season, did not place in the event.

“”I was way behind,”” he said. “” I just didn’t really feel all right, and I lost my rhythm.””

Although Cheseret could have done better, Harvey said he was pleased with his performance.

“”For him to have an off race and still run that fast, it’s a real good thing,”” Harvey said. “”And I could care less about the time. I care only about the place.”” Meanwhile in Long Beach, Calif., senior thrower Rachel Varner led the Wildcats by winning the discus competition with her toss of 51.39m.

In the men’s 800m, sophomore Craig Dye finished third in the competition with a time of 1:53.21, while distance sophomore Kenny Frank finished fifth in 1:55.17.

Overall, Harvey said that while splitting between three meets was difficult for the athletes, it really improved their competitive spirit.

“”It’s absolutely the best situation for a competitive situation,”” he said. “”Each of the venues gave all of those athletes the opportunity to improve their times and performance level.””