Arizona baseball’s Bobby Dalbec earns preseason honors

Alex McIntyre
Arizona infielder Bobby Dalbec (3) swings for the ball during a game against Oregon on March 29, 2015. Dalbec has been named to multiple preseason All-American teams already this season.

Third baseman and pitcher Bobby Dalbec was named on the second team of the Division I baseball preseason’s All-American list on Monday. Two other players from the Pac-12, K.J. Harrison of Oregon State who made the first team and Daulton Jefferies who was selected for the second team, join him.

This is one of three preseason All-American teams Dalbec has been selected to. He was a second team for both the Louisville Slugger and Rawlings Perfect Game All-American teams.

For Dalbec and the Wildcats, official practices begin Friday, with the annual alumni game coming up on Saturday. Their first official regular season game will be against Rice on Feb. 19.

Dalbec will look to have yet another dominant season, one in which he was an All-Conference selection, on the Pac-12 All Defensive team, and was named a Second Team All-American.

Last year, Dalbec hit .319, had a .601 slugging percentage, tallied 53 RBI, and hit 15 homeruns in 55 games. His homerun total led the conference. As a pitcher, he posted a 3-7 record in 21 games, but he had an impressive 3.21 ERA.

Dalbec will have to continue his success under a new head coach, however, as longtime coach Andy Lopez retired last season after a 14-year career at the helm. Jay Johnson takes over the program after coaching two seasons at the University of Nevada and posting an impressive 72-42 record.