Three sentenced in 2021 shooting of UA student

Tom Price
A University of Arizona Police Department car sits just off of Park Ave. on Oct. 1, 2015.

Three men were sentenced in connection with the shooting of University of Arizona student Forrest Beckett Keys.

Keys was shot and killed in an altercation at the Cherry Avenue Parking Garage on February 20, 2021. On Monday, June 27, three men were sentenced for the crime.

Keys was a sophomore majoring in communication and was a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity at the UA. 

The three defendants recently appeared in court on Monday, June 27, for sentencing. The defendants include Roberto Joaquin Camargo, Alonzo Orosco and Ruben Young.

Orosco was arrested on Feb. 25, five days after the shooting. The other two suspects, Camargo and Young, were arrested on Feb 26, 2021. All three suspects were originally charged with first-degree murder and drive-by shooting.

Camargo was sentenced to three years on probation for a charge of first-degree hindering prosecution. 

Hindering prosecution in the first degree occurs when someone interferes with the “apprehension, prosecution, conviction or punishment of another for any felony,” according to the Arizona State Legislature.

In addition to probation, Camargo will have to become a full-time student or get a full-time job, get a diploma or a GED and attend moral recognition therapy. 

Camargo agreed to a plea deal on May 26, lowering his charges from murder and assault.

The two other suspects, Orosco and Young, were both sentenced to 30 years in prison. Both defendants pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and aggravated assault in April and await sentencing.

In the wake of Keys’ death, the Forrest Beckett Keys Memorial Scholarship Endowment was created. 

According to Support UA, the scholarship was created to “lift him up and build a legacy through generations of Wildcats to come, who will carry his named scholarship with them as they finish their studies at the University of Arizona.” The scholarship is still currently collecting donations on the UA website.

Follow Kiara Adams on Twitter