Regents name Ann Weaver Hart as next UA president

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat Ann Weaver Hart, prospective President for the University of Arizona, is welcomed to UA’s Gallagher Theater to answer questions from students, Tucsonans, and UA staff and faculty on Monday, Feb 13.

Tempe, Ariz. – The Arizona Board of Regents appointed Ann Weaver Hart to be the next UA president, effective July 1, at its meeting on Friday.

The board conducted a national search to fill the position of president, and created a 23-member search committee and 27-member Search Committee Advisory Council to aid in doing so. The committees included UA faculty, regents, student leaders and civic and community leaders to provide input on qualities they sought in the next president. A website was also made where individuals could ask questions about the search process and find information about the status of the search.

“Dr. Hart has a record of success in areas we need so much,” said Dennis DeConcini, regent and co-chair of the search committee. In her time as the former president of Temple University, Hart has dealt with medical schools, intercity development and diversity, he said, in addition to budget cuts. “She (Hart) will bring a new direction, keeping in mind the importance of shared governance, inclusion and the ability to make decisions.”

Hart thanked the co-chairs of the search committee for their hard work, and said she was “entranced” by the opportunity to become president upon seeing the board and search committee’s commitment to the UA’s future.

“Every person I’ve ever met got a phone call,” she said, laughing. “It was a serious search. I cannot tell you how honored I am to be your next president.”

Hart becomes the first female president in the UA’s 126-year history.

The search committee looked at more than 80 candidate prospects, though more than 100 people were nominated for the position. Hart will serve as president from July 1 to June 30, 2015, with an annual salary of $475,000. Her contract also includes a housing and car allowance, moving expense reimbursement and a transition expense payment of $100,000 from non-university funds.

UA President Eugene Sander received a salary of $425,000 during his interim period as president.

“We wanted someone with a breadth of experiences and a depth of successes,” said Rick Myers, regent and co-chair of the search committee. “She (Hart) has done it all, and done it all well.”