Whether biker, bomber or basic, leather rocks

Now is the time to kick up any wardrobe a notch by investing in a stylish leather jacket.

Many UA students seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to leather items this season. Between black and brown miniskirts, oversized bags and structured jackets, college fashionistas have the leather look down pat. Although this month’s InStyle featured 10 fabulous styles of the “moto jacket,” we can also learn a thing or two from trendsetters here on campus.

Leather jackets look great on everyone and they instantly spice up any outfit. All you need to do is find one that best suits your personal style. It’s well worth it to invest in a durable jacket, even if it’s pricier. It will last you a long time and there’s a reason these jackets never left the fashion scene: They’re timeless.

Here are three basic but different leather styles to try out:

Rock on, biker style

Motorcycle jackets are instant admission into the cool crowd. There’s no easier way to look like a rock star or a tough gal than to sport a fitted jacket with multiple zippers and a bold collar design. This style looks best in black if you really want to embrace your inner biker chick. If not, it can be a statement piece for casual dresses, skirts or a pair of skinny jeans. On a windier day, wear it open with a colorful scarf. Any way it’s worn, this jacket screams fun.

Classic coats

A classic piece with a longer silhouette looks smoother, sleeker and more comfortable to wear. Softer leathers feel nicer to the touch, which also means leather conditioners are a must for proper maintenance. Longer jackets can make a statement with dressy ensembles and business wear, or dress up a pair of jeans for a night out. Out of all the leather jacket styles, this one looks the most slimming, feminine and professional.

Lookin’ bomb-er

So you’re probably thinking 1980s “Top Gun,” right? The flight wear from that movie surprisingly influenced fashions that we still see today, and for the better. The bomber jacket isn’t just found in menswear nowadays, though. Women are rocking them too, perhaps even more often than men.

Because the bomber style packs a little bulkier appearance as opposed to the more form-fitted jackets, it’s best to wear them in cold weather with layers underneath. Leather is often associated with this style, but many bomber jackets are also found in softer fabrics or heavier winter material. They can be matched up with a pair of skinny jeans and combat boots for a true aeronautical-inspired look. But if this is verging on too masculine for your taste, a pair of pumps with a kitten heel will do the trick.