‘Sorely Missed’

Kevin Brost
Kevin Brost / Daily Wildcat Students, friends and family of Anthony Andrighetto gather at the Delta Chi fraternity house on Thursday evening. Andrighetto was killed, and two others were injured in a car on crash Wednesday.

Hundreds of UA community members gathered Thursday at the basketball court of the Delta Chi fraternity to remember Anthony Andrighetto, a UA student who died in a car accident the day before.

Andrighetto, a member of the Delta Chi fraternity, died and four others, including at least one other Delta Chi member, were injured in the accident on Wednesday afternoon.

According to a release from the Tucson Police Department, the accident occurred at approximately 5:10 p.m. on Wednesday when a green minivan failed to yield before making a left turn from Golf Links Road onto Wilmot Road. A green Jeep Wrangler, carrying two of the victims, crashed into the side of the van and flipped into the air, crashing into the traffic pole at the intersection. Another victim driving a black Mazda Protégé attempted to swerve out of the way, but collided with a car that was stationary in the left turn lane.

Pre-business student and Delta Chi member Sam Schmid was among those injured in the accident. He was transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center-University Campus that night.

Jo Marie Gellerman, public affairs coordinator for the center, said Schmid was still in critical condition at the hospital as of press time.

Michael Colletti, the president of the UA Interfraternity Council, offered condolences to those affected by the accident.

“The Interfraternity Council is deeply saddened at the loss of Anthony and wishes to offer our deepest sympathies to the members of Delta Chi, family and friends of those affected by this tragedy,” Colletti said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them. The fraternal bonds extend greater than our own respective chapters, and they have our whole community’s support during this difficult time. We wish those recovering a speedy recovery.”

Jessica Hermann, the president of the Panhellenic Council, said it was important for the greek community to unite in light of the tragedy.

“Panhellenic is standing beside IFC in its time of need,” she said. “Through difficult times, we pull together in the greek community, as we have in the past. I have no doubts that we will get through this together.”

Keith Humphrey, the dean of students, said students should utilize the UA’s support services if they feel the need.

“It is always sad when a member of our community passes away and we want to support students who need assistance given these events,” Humphrey said. “Students who are affected by this tragedy should reach out to the staff in Counseling and Psychological Services or the student advocates in the Dean of Students Office.”

James Mullins, Anthony Andrighetto’s uncle, wrote in an email that Andrighetto was a “great kid.”

“He had a great smile and attitude,” Mullins wrote. “… He had a big heart, and was well-loved by all family and friends.”

Mullins wrote that Andrighetto’s death was a “massive tragedy” to his family.

“He is and will be sorely missed,” Mullins wrote.

Andrighetto’s parents were among the family, friends, fellow fraternity and Greek Life members as well as UA students and faculty who joined together for Thursday’s memorial. His mother, Donna Andrighetto, described her son as “loving,” “kind” and “always happy.”

“Anthony treated people the way all people should be treated,” she said.

His father, Steve Andrighetto, said Anthony Andrighetto was the “least confrontational” person he had ever known.

The steps leading to the fraternity’s basketball court were decorated with flowers, candles, Anthony Andrighetto’s former high school jersey and photos. Two large poster boards were also filled with notes to Anthony Andrighetto as well as to Schmid.

The Andrighetto family plans to set up a foundation in honor of Anthony Andrighetto. The foundation will benefit the Delta Chi UA chapter, and details about how donations can be made will follow once the foundation is officially created.

Steven Cox, the president of Delta Chi fraternity, said Anthony Andrighetto was the “nicest,” “best” and “funniest guy.”

“Anthony loved us, this fraternity and all of you,” Cox said to memorial attendees.

_— Eliza Molk contributed reporting to this story. _