Arizona gets up big, but goes into halftime only up 39-38

Simon Asher
Arizona State’s Shannon Evans II muscles past Arizona’s Brandon Randolph (5) and Rawle Alkins (1) during the Arizona-Arizona State game on Thursday, Feb. 15 in Wells Fargo Arena in Phoenix, Ariz. At the half, Arizona is up 39-38.

Arizona men’s basketball jumped to a early 17 point lead, but surrendered a 16-2 run to the Sun Devils before taking a 39-38 lead Thursday into halftime at the Wells Fargo Arena. 

The atmosphere was electric at the start of the game, but Arizona came out firing from all cylinders and jumped to an early 11-2 lead, quieting the crowd. From there the Wildcats built a 17 point lead by the 11 minute mark in the first half. 

However, ASU completely changed the momentum of the game with a 16-2 run, bringing the Sun Devils within four at the three minute mark in the first half, and putting the crowd back on its feet, before closing the half only down one. 

Arizona shot 56 percent from the floor and held ASU to 44 percent. The Wildcats also shot 45 percent from 3-point range. ASU started the game 0-5 from three, but went 4-of-8 while making a comeback. 

Allonzo Trier led the way for Arizona with 12 points, three rebounds and three assists. Trier shot 2-for-3 from deep and 4-for-5 from the floor while Deandre Ayton and Dusan Ristic added eight points each. 

Ristic hit two back-to-back threes in the first eight minutes. He shot 3-of-3 from deep against Utah in the McKale Center in January, but hasn’t taken a three since then. 

Parker Jackson-Cartwright scored the first two points of the game and then hit a three to give Arizona a 5-0 lead over ASU.

For ASU, Tra Holder scored 10 points while Kodi Justice followed him with nine. 

Follow Nate Airulla on Twitter