Columnist showdown

Should the library focus on becoming a primarily online resource?

Ryan Johnson / columnist

Yes. The UA should join the future and move more books online. Schools such as the University of Texas-Austin have the right idea. More and more books and research are going online, while fewer and fewer students are using the library. One stroll through the library on a studious evening finds that most students there are using the tables to study. Plenty of the books sit unused, perhaps not read in a decade or more. Do we really want to use so much prime campus real estate for that?

Jonathan Riches / columnist

You didn’t toss your Rubik’s Cube in the fire when a new video game came out, did you? Look, I like books, so I might be biased. I like the way they look, I like the way they feel and I like turning the last page of one to finish it. I just don’t get the same sort of satisfaction scrolling down a computer screen. But sentiment aside, we must be realistic, and some sources, like newspapers, magazine articles and video clips, lend themselves to digital formats. Others, like textbooks, because they are easily transported and marked, lend themselves to paper. The library should strike the proper balance between putting sources online that are easily digitized and keeping those on the shelves that are not.

Shurid Sen / columnist

The UA library currently offers students access to electronic journals such as JSTOR and other material not otherwise available. Offering students access to a UA “”e-Library”” would usher in a new, more versatile manner of distributing library resources. Currently, students must vie for the books that they need on a first-come, first-served basis. An e-library system would eliminate the finitude of books and help students access resources as they need them, rather than after they’ve waited enough time for other students to return books.

Will Sen. John McCain get the GOP nomination for president in 2008?

Ryan Johnson / columnist

I hope so, but it depends on his Republican opponents. McCain looks like he would win for president in a general election, which should appeal to Republicans. But Republicans have shown that they want more conservative candidates, and McCain is a moderate. His age is a weakness as well. But in the end, I think that GOP voters are so afraid of President Clinton that McCain will win.

Jonathan Riches / columnist

Nope. You can’t win the primary without the base, and a strong conservative candidate who united an increasingly disparate right would likely take McCain down. Too bad, too. McCain is a strong leader, an independent thinker and a war hero. Combine those traits with a relatively strong fiscally conservative record and a wide appeal among independents and Democrats and McCain would be a formidable general-election contender. Perhaps if GOP heavyweights can get past his maverick tendencies then he will get the nod (anything is better than Hillary, right?), but I wouldn’t bet the bank on it.

Shurid Sen / columnist

Sen. McCain would be the most logical choice for the Republican nomination considering his broad appeal as an independent thinker rather than a talking-points parrot. With the GOP currently suffering image problems stemming from corruption charges, McCain would be the perfect selection as a proponent of clean election reform. He is clearly more experienced and qualified than others in the running, such as Virginia Sen. George Allen and Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. So long as Republicans are willing to stop pandering to the whims of the uber-Christian right and make a return to fiscal conservatism buried by Bush, he should be their nominee.

What should UA athletics fans spend their time on now that the men’s basketball season in over?

Ryan Johnson / columnist

The Suns! How cool is it that we have a fun team to watch that happens to be really, really good at the same time? Steve Nash is the man. Even without Amare Stoudemire, we have a decent shot at making the finals. Charles Barkley who?

Jonathan Riches / columnist

Well, they can start by watching the rest of what has been an amazing tournament. (This includes watching ‘Nova go down to Boston College on Friday.) Then, they can grab some sunblock and a pregame buzz and head down to Sancet Stadium to watch a ballgame. If they are feeling particularly adventurous, they can catch the Lady Cats play a few tennis matches. But, as the weather warms, I suggest getting off the sidelines altogether and finding your own sports to play.

Shurid Sen / columnist

UA athletics fans have plenty of action to look forward to if left starving for more after the deposition of the Cats by those other Cats. The UA’s No. 1-ranked softball team is still making its way through a dominant regular season. Baseball could use support at Sancet Stadium to rally from a lackluster beginning of the season with Pac-10 play just around the corner. If none of this sounds interesting, I suggest getting familiar with names like Budinger, Wise and Hill for next season’s Final Four run.